Paypal/USPS 1st Class Shipping Issue

somegreatstuff1
Contributor
Contributor

Recently we shipped an item via 1st class mail (lightweight - 4 ounces or so) and the buyer received a notice from the USPS saying she owed an additional $4.09 - because a delivery confirmation number was on the package.   Every time we ship via Paypal Shipping in conjunction with the USPS - it gives us a tracking # for 1st class (it charges us 19 cents, but it assigns one none-the-less) parcels - so why are they trying to charge our buyer an additional $4.09 for this parcel?  Its a flat envelope (has a child's hanky in it) - and it had the same label we have had on all our 1st class parcels shipped this way.  Any ideas?   I sent a note to the buyer with a 'proof' showing the eBay screen / Paypal screen showing that they charge 19 cents for the tracking / del. confirm. # and it is issued by USPS through Paypal - and the info from their label.  Plus - I mentioned what my thoughts on the situation were - which is - that USPS/Paypal have an agreement that allows First Class parcels to have a delivery confirm # so that they can provide buyer protection on the items.  Normal first class mail doesn't have tracking #'s - and so my thought it that the buyers Postal Workers at the post office don't know about this agreement - but why now, its been like this for a long time - so - any clues anyone?

Thanks alot for any help that can be provided!

God bless!

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

jcint
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I am betting you've run into the same problem I had last year.  If your package/envelope is not a least 3/4" thick, you can not ship with delivery confirmation.  If you do ship a package/envelope that is less than 3/4" thick with delivery confirmation, the post office will then charge the priority rate.  The $4.09 might be the balance between what you paid and the priority rate. 

Login to Me Too

desertfox2001

I use padded envelopes for a lot of shipping. most of the time, they do meet the 3/4" rule. if I am sending a check or something thin that will not make the 3/4 rule.....I through a couple packing peanuts in to make the thickness.

Login to Me Too

somegreatstuff1
Contributor
Contributor

@desertfox2001 wrote:

I use padded envelopes for a lot of shipping. most of the time, they do meet the 3/4" rule. if I am sending a check or something thin that will not make the 3/4 rule.....I through a couple packing peanuts in to make the thickness.

Thanks so much desertfox2001 - that sounds like the ticket - we did find that this 3/4" rule was the case behind the extra postage.  An expensive lesson - (not relatively speaking I guess based on the amount of shipping we do), but still.  I think that Paypal should make this distinction on their site more blatant so that they can say they've informed sellers completely about this shipping distinction - so there aren't troubles on this in the future.  I wonder how many people just 'pay the difference' and either never inform the seller and give them a lower DSR because of it, or the sellers are informed and just pay it for the buyer - and don't say anything to Paypal about it?  (These are the types of things that people often will just pay and rather than ask about it, will give the seller lower DSR because of it on the shipping rating, perhaps that is something that eBay should address.)

I hope no one else has to find out the hard way as we did - but I'm sure it will still happen.   Have a great February!

Login to Me Too

profdata
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

I think that Paypal should make this distinction on their site more blatant so that they can say they've informed sellers completely about this shipping distinction - so there aren't troubles on this in the future. 

Should the copy and post all of the USPS rules for shipping.

Login to Me Too

somegreatstuff1
Contributor
Contributor

@profdata wrote:

I think that Paypal should make this distinction on their site more blatant so that they can say they've informed sellers completely about this shipping distinction - so there aren't troubles on this in the future. 

Should the copy and post all of the USPS rules for shipping.

I presume you meant - should they copy ... - and no they shouldn't, but when the drop down menu for the choices are listed and it clearly says First Class Parcel - it should be made clear that the parcel must be thicker than 3/4" - thats all I'm getting at.  Not too much trouble - and it would appear this is a problem as our Post Master said they've been getting grief for that one alot recently - as they used to 'not enforce' it all the time and have recently started doing so, unknown to many who used to use this method of shipping - now when they use it they will be held to the 'must be 3/4" thick or more' or NOT have the tracking # on it from paypal if shipping 1st class.

Thats all I'm saying - I know it won't happen - but it would be great to have a 'tips/tricks' of shipping 'help' page on Paypal - for hints just like that one - and other things that seasoned shippers may know that newer ones or infrequent shippers may not know. 

God bless - and didn't mean to start a debate - just putting that out there.

Login to Me Too

txaggies
New Community Member

I am so fortunate that I stumbled across your posts on First Class Mail and a required thickness for these parcels.  I have been using PayPal to mail First Class thick envelopes for years and was never aware that there was a 3/4 in. rule in place.  Most of mine do exceed the thickness, but I'm sure not every single one has.  I wonder if the USPS has just ignored or if my customers have had to pay extra and just not said anything.

Thanks to both of you for the info!

Login to Me Too

jcint
Contributor
Contributor

Actually, the information is there, in a way.  Beside your package size option is lettering stating:  Learn More About Package Sizes.  If you press the link, it tells you all about the different size packages and the requirements for them.  That's the one way I found out that my packages weren't thick enough.  We use bubble pack from the local car dealership parts department to "thicken" our packages since we us poly mailers.  It works out great.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.