Hold on e-check payments even though i have a credit card backup

ratita
Contributor
Contributor

hi

i'm wondering why the last few times i have used paypal using my bank account as the funding source the payments have not gone through immediately even though i have a credit card as a backup funding source. this is the way my account has always been and i have not changed or altered anything. it used to be my payments would go through immediately and then they stopped doing so out of the blue.

why???? and what can i do to get back to the immediate payments?

thanks!

Login to Me Too
50 REPLIES 50

crysbico
New Community Member

i looked all over for the cancel option...

the details section just shows the transaction. if i click on "pending" it just gives me the definition of the status in a popup window.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Everyone,

I can certainly understand any frustration experienced with an eCheck payment, especially if you are normally used to paying via an Instant Transfer from the bank account.  eChecks aren't fun for any party involved, be it the buyer, seller, or PayPal, although they do come with a wonderful cap on the maximum fee that the seller may pay to receive the purchase.  In some instances, however, they are the only available funding source.

Olivia's done an excellent job here of explaining how and why eCheck may come up as an option when making a payment, and I would sincerely echo that same information as the root beneath the scenarios described above.  The decision to limit the available funding sources is made on a transaction per transaction basis, and is not an indication that we necessarily believe either party cannot support the transaction or is fraudulent.  PayPal understands that in some instances, this may affect an account in good standing, and we sincerely regret any such experience that occurs.  The limitation of one payment does not indicate that future payments will be required to use the same funding method in the future, nor does it indicate that your account is not in good standing.

Understandably, PayPal cannot discuss the information we use to make these decisions, not because we don't want to help you - we like it when payments go through!  - but because it truly is a security issue.  Disclosing more information about those filters would leave all of our members without a safe and secure method to submit payments online, and we would not be able to offer you the protection you deserve. 

Thank you for your understanding,

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too

vegaswed
Contributor
Contributor

Adrian,

Can you please tell me what to do about It?  Will I forever be banned from doing instant transfers?  Will I forever be banned from doing instant transfers to this same merchant?  Will it randomly start approving them, again?  I just need to know what I'm working with in order to respond accordningly.  Thank you.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

vegaswed,

If a funding option is not available for a particular transaction, it does not mean it will never be available again.  These assessments are made on a transaction by transaction basis - not for all future payments or for all payments to another individual.

Hope this helps,

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too

TimmyK
Contributor
Contributor

The assessments just happen to be disabling the Instant Transfer option transaction after transaction after transaction. I have tried paying for goods and sending money to countless recipients. I still have the same issue as everyone else. If it took three days every time I asked my wife to pass the salt I'd find another shaker.

I understand the moderators on this forum are probably stuck between a rock and a hard place when it comes to the dull, repetitive, lawyeristic answers given. Answers the man behind the curtain expects them to regurgitate. I wonder what percentage of assessments Olivia or Adrian have Instant Transfer as a funding option? That's assuming they haven't found another service to use themselves. When Adrian gets paid do you think PayPal sends him an eCheck? Status: Pending, Uncleared. 3-5 business days? Must be good money.

Let me simplify this for you. We all qualify for an instant bank payment. Qualify means not guaranteed. Good luck.

Login to Me Too

j8stringer
Contributor
Contributor

I am a long time PP user and just like everyone else who posted, my credit card came up for renewal last Dec. (2010).

The info was updated and I started seeing PP charges on my Visa bill, when I have always used Instant Transfer with my verified bank account (I have two registered with PP). Now, on every purchase in the last 2 months, when I try and change funding options, all I have is eCheck.  My last purchase was for $40.00 ... eCheck.  Since they know my account

is 10s of thousands, what could be the reason???  Like others, the reason for PP use, is to purchase with instant transfer.  If I have to use a credit card, I don't need PP.  I called 3X and each time was promised a fix, which never happened. If your picking up I'm angry, I am. If we cannot use PP for instant transfers anymore, just say so.

Login to Me Too

TimmyK
Contributor
Contributor

Now we just need about ninety thousand more people to step up and tell their story and maybe our voice will be heard. Odd the mods have left this one alone now that it is clear people are unhappy and their answers simply don't resolve anything. Their silence is an admission of guilt. They must be brainstorming in the conference room hard about this one. It seems they actually tried blocking my account from posting anymore for a while there. I'm not some zit you can just pop! I'm part of the community! So are these others who just want a clear statement such as, "We no longer accept Instant Transfer" or "We won't be accepting instant transfer until..." instead of leading us on or ignoring us all together. 

Login to Me Too

szm
Contributor
Contributor

I defense of the Mods., I think their hands are tied. They, like the customer support people I've spoken to, are only allowed to put out the corporate mantra and not allowed to be proactive inside the company and certainly not allowed to agree with customers that the system is stacked agaisnt them.

I've repeatedly asked for someone who is authorized to actually discsuss the situation to talk to me and every time I am told, with similar form letters, how they are protecting me and that they cannot discuss security issues. I'm not asking for a discusssion of security issues, folks. (And if your security model was good, you would be glad to discuss it so that people would a) have confidence in it and b) people smarter than you - yes, it's possible - could find flaws and then help you make it better!) I'm asking for an explanation of what more a customer could do than to use PayPal for both parties and Ebay stores for the purchase to make PayPal happy. It seems that PayPal is playing games (which they used to do many years ago which is why I ditched them... then I came back about two years ago after they seemed to fix their issues only to have this happen, again... I'm looking for another solution, my friends.)

Login to Me Too

szm
Contributor
Contributor

Adrian, and others, this is all a "company line" and is simply not true. I've been told the same thing multiple times and I have not been able to use instant transfer for any trasnaction in the past few weeks. None! I was even told 

Don't worry, this is not going to 
happen to every transaction. Rest assured that you can use your bank
account on your next transaction.

by a customer support person. WRONG! I could not and still cannot. I've been told all sort of lies by people on the phone and via email. I've been told there is a $10,000 per transaction limit on instant trasnfers. So why was my request for less than that denied? "Because it's close" What? One is either above or below a limit. PayPal is making decisions to increase their own wealth (via the money float) and hiding behind security ans such crap.

Here is my specific situation: I'm buying form an Ebay store vendor with 100% positive feeedback (over 500 feedbacks) and with whom I have personally dealt with on two previous occasions with no problems. He is also using a PayPal account. So everything is in the Paypal/Ebay universe and you still claim something is fishy and won't let this through. Yep, I will not be able to use you for my business any longer. You are losing BUSINESS transactions and since I cannot use PayPal, nobody who only accepts PayPal will get my business, either.

This is absolutely ridiculous.

Login to Me Too

Tekwiz
Contributor
Contributor

There is still obviously something else going on moderators. People would have seen this at SOME point, during SOME transaction over MULTIPLE years of use....unless of course, it's a recent change. Apparently whoever is in charge of the "filters" has made them a tad to agressive. While I understand the need for security, security through obscurity rarely works and works against you when people don't know how to do the one main thing paypal gets used for, instant money transfers.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.