What if you make a purchase with a bank account that doesn't have the funds available?

bengraham
Contributor
Contributor

So, as I'm aware, if you buy something with PayPal using your bank account registered with your account, it takes a few days for funds to actually be taken from your account.

I purchased something a couple of days ago on eBay and accidentally chose my current account which doesn't have the funds to actually make the payment (it's the end of the month, after all). What's going to happen now? My PayPal account says the payment has been made successfully and so does eBay but nothing's happened to my bank account. Will my PayPal account balance go negative? Help would be appreciated!

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

Nikola_Sekulic
Contributor
Contributor

There are a few things that can happen,but the most likely is that your bank account will go into negative,and once you get money on it,the amount you owe will be deduced+the penalty money for going into a minus.Another thing,but much less likely is that since it takes up to a week for some banks to process the order, you could,in theory,  get some funds on it and avoid the penalty for going into a minus.

I hope this helps,have a nice day

Login to Me Too

bengraham
Contributor
Contributor
But since my current account doesn't accept overdrafts and instead would just mark the payment as an 'unpaid transaction' and simply not pay, what will happen?
Login to Me Too

Nikola_Sekulic
Contributor
Contributor

So basically cancel the order,then the standard should happen the money will be returned to you minus the fees,also the goods will be returned to the buyer,if its a physical item you bought,then depending on what you agreed upon on Ebay you might have to pay for the return of the item to the buyer.If you plan to do this inform the buyer so they dont send the item to you.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.