Scam or not?

Btovee
Contributor
Contributor

Hi everyone, I was wondering if you could help me out? Here is my situation, I am selling a car on gumtree and the buyer said they would pay by paypal, however the recept that I received for the payment when straight into my spam folder of my gmail account. So, this made me suspicious, it seems like a scam.

Here is part of the email

"I have just completed your payment and I expected paypal to have notified you to this effect. Check your paypal email folders (Inbox,spam or junk mail) l sent £1,050.00 GBP in all. l added £400 but £300 will be sent to my courier agent Headquarter in China through western union online www.westernunion.com  or at local post office,the extra £100 is to cover the western union fees. Paypal will not release the funds until you email them the western union details for verification and also to enable my pick up agent come for pick up, Here's the courier agent's details where the money will be sent using western union"

Any help or advice would be greatly received.

Many Thanks.

Login to Me Too
56 REPLIES 56

Kytho
New Community Member

i received an email from Paypal that suggested that I wanted to cancel my PayPal account. This is definitely not the case. Incidentally I can't seem to contact PayPal by email. Try it - it's impossible.

Login to Me Too

minty1
Advisor
Advisor

Hi Kytho

Did the email address you as Dear Full Name?

Did it ask you to click on any links/downloads?

Login to Me Too

Jimbob13
New Community Member
This is the email I got ok no problem i will be paying you with my PayPal account because it's attached to my bank account and its safe and very secure way to make payment. If my mode of payment is accepted just send me your paypal email address,(Paypal ID) so i can pay in right away. Make sure you get back to me so that i can make the payment. I have a private courier agent that will come for the pick up after payments has been made, so no shipping included. And if you dont have a paypal account, you can easily go to www.paypal.com and sign up. its very easy. I await your reply asap Then when I asked why he didn't want to see it .............. i wish to view the car,but due to my job i cant make it cos am a sailor,busy sealing and presently now am in Bermuda coast in said ship...so i close to use PayPal becos of the distance between us...and i will be making the Payment without any delaying...i hope you can read this mail an understand me better.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Yes scam.

>>>>>
Be VERY careful selling cars/large items if the buyer is keen to use paypal and states they are working abroad or sending to a friend etc and need a shipping agent to pick it up..

You then get a FAKE paypal email saying you have been paid extra so you can pay the shipping agent for them via western union and the payment is released to you after you have done that.

It is a scam to get that western union payment, they don't want your car and the shipping agent is just a scam to get that payment.

They are nearly always in Nigeria and can't even own a paypal account.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Kate55
Contributor
Contributor
I'm selling a phone and the winner is saying PayPal are holding the money until they receive proof of the phone being delivered I also had an email from PayPal I don't think it is them but want to double check
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Are they in Nigeria??

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

hannah_banana
New Community Member

Thanks for the response,I would have loved to call you directly but due to the nature of my work we do not have access to phone at the moment,which is why I contacted you with internet messaging facility.

im currently selling a vehicle and first of all recieved a text from an overseas number, once i replied i then got the following message: Initially i was troubleshooting how to recieve payment via paypal when i came across lots of other similar situations others had encountered. 

I am buying this for my first son who just graduated on top of his class at Charles Darwin University in NT ,He studied Building Design & Architecture. I want it to be the perfect graduation gift for him and am making it a surprise package ,Does it have any history I should be aware of? and why are you selling if you don't mind my asking. I don't mind adding an extra $300.00 for you just to take down the posting..I am already in talks with freighters that will handle the pickup and delivery .I will really appreciate if you can email more info

Due to the nature of my work i am a very busy man working all day,am a sailor am presently on-board, i don't have access to my bank account online as am not with my credit card details here but i have my ANZ bank account link up with my PayPal account so I will be paying you through PayPal to your nominated bank account or better still is if you have a PayPal account ,please get back to me with your BSB and account details or PayPal account so i can proceed with the payment and contact the courier agent who will come to pick it up and deliver it in NT for my son .Await your reply .

Regards

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

cheesehooves
Contributor
Contributor
Listed my ipad2 on Craigslist this morning, got a response through text asking the condition and if its still available. After describing the item, the buyer offered to pay an extra $100 for shipping to send it to his wife, who happens to be vacationing in Ibadan Nigeria, as a gift; nevermind the fact that it has a bad battery. As soon as he texts me to tell me he's posted the money, I get an email from 'PayPal.' (notice the period) saying I require a tracking number before allowing my funds to process into my account. Sound familiar?
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

THIS IS A SCAM.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.

It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

They threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Most scams originate from Nigeria and people there cannot even own a paypal account.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send trackable, they advise it for seller protection etc but it is not compulsory.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Oh and if you are selling pricy items then i would block international countries and list uk only.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.