Is it safe to give my PayPal email address to someone who wants to send me money?

Irenelee92
Contributor
Contributor
So this is the email: Many thanks for getting back to me again. I am very social person that respect humanity and this make it so easy for me to get along with whoever that comes my way in life. I am arriving on 10th of July and start working in Australia. I will be securing the room by transferring the rent to you through PayPal and if you do not have a paypal account kindly set up an account with them in less than 5 minutes on www.paypal.com. I would have requested for your bank details but for the safety of you and me with giving bank details online, I prefer going through PayPal. I will be so happy to secure the room as soon as you get back to me with the PayPal money request. All you need to do is to log into your PayPal and click request money, you will then send the money request of total 3 months rent to my email address for me to transfer the money. I will like to pay in advance through PayPal and my reason is that, I will be presenting the proof of my rent payment to my employer and also to the immigration at the port of entry into Australia. Is this a scam?
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_Conor

Hi Irenelee92,

Welcome to our Community 🙂

Although it's completely normal to provide your PayPal email to receive a payment, I find the content of that message a little worrying.

The tone is tailored towards you doing everyhing right away and this is why I'm concerned.

Did you receive a payment or further emails from this individual in the end?

Conor

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4
Solved

PayPal_Conor

Hi Irenelee92,

Welcome to our Community 🙂

Although it's completely normal to provide your PayPal email to receive a payment, I find the content of that message a little worrying.

The tone is tailored towards you doing everyhing right away and this is why I'm concerned.

Did you receive a payment or further emails from this individual in the end?

Conor

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Conor is right, read the link, its a scam.

They email you to say they have sent a paypal payment but need you to send a payment to western union from those funds to pay for shipping to get their items to their new country, they are not interested in anything but that western union payment.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=hts&oq=&hl=en-GB&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGNI_en-GBGB5...

I give up my time to help you so a thank you or kudos would be cool.

Marking one of my replies as a solution would be appreciated if I sorted your problem.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Irenelee92
Contributor
Contributor
Hi Kernowlass, Thank you so much. The link you provided looks almost exactly the same with the email I got. I'm glad that I ask before taking action. Thanks again and I appreciate your help.
Login to Me Too

Irenelee92
Contributor
Contributor
Hi Conor, Thanks for your help. I've decided to ignore that email as she said she will only reply only if I send the 'request money' to her. I dunno why it sounds like a trap for me 😥
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.