Ensuring Buyer Protection Eligibility on high value item

freakstate
Contributor
Contributor

Hi everyone, hope you're all having a great weekend?

This might be quite a simple one, just double confirming with a reply from the community please.

Going to be paying someone via Paypal for an item that ran out of time on ebay and we've exchanged correspondance via SMS. I will not be paying via Ebay, just using Paypal directly.

I have photos and an ended ebay listing description as proof, am I covered by the Buyer Protection on this transaction if the get the item valued and it's not as the seller has stated?

Many thanks,

Alistair

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@freakstate

Firstly in the event of an item received but not as described dispute paypal would take no notice of any description of the item that had been listed on ebay.

This is because you did not buy it on Ebay so its not considered, what they would consider is the DESCRIPTION of the item on the invoice OR money request that you are sent OR on the send money > goods/services form that you send to the seller, depending which way you pay.

Secondly however whilst you would have paypal buyer protection if you paid using one of those methods (DO NOT use friends / family), buyer protection is not a 100% cover-all. So you need to read up on buyer protection and then risk assess your own transaction.

I would procede with caution if the item is high cost.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

freakstate
Contributor
Contributor

Ok thanks for your feedback.

If I copy/paste the item description and all the details I'm aware of within the records or invoice relating to the transaction I think that should cover me then so its not relying on the ebay item as a description. Tricky to do so with photos I guess but I could always link to a collection of photos or the ebay item itself just in case anything was arise.

Nothing is raising any red flags at the moment, just want to make sure I do it through Paypal correctly and securely, very good point around Friends and Family setting, will ensure I dont select that option.

Thanks,

Al

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.