Selling Stuff On Craigslist And Buyer Wants Paypal Address to pay

Kinni
New Community Member

I'm Selling Stuff On Craigslist And Buyer Wants to Pay through Paypal. And says will get the Items Shipped himself. Its a Full Bedroom Suite we r selling for Around $5000.

Can It be a scam?

If she would have said a cheque or certified cheque or anything I would have Ignored but  she said PAYPAL  so I'm confused as I trust PAYPAL.

If it can't  be a Scam then What Info would I need to Provide her to get the Payment.

I dont know abt receiving a payment via Paypal as I just usually buy stuff on ebay with PAYPAL

Thanks.

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Kinni -

Welcome to the boards!

First, you're entering a new arena - selling with PayPal.  This is a new venture for you, and it comes with a lot of new things to know to protect yourself, even if you're just selling something around the house.  You'll want to read up on our Seller Protection Policy and how to stay protected.  Learn more at www.paypal.ca/securityandprotection and also check out the Legal Agreement portion that deals with this policy.

Also, you'll want to make sure you arrange for the shipment and pay for it yourself.  Allowing the buyer to pick the item up or to pay a shipper to pick it up from you voids the Seller Protection Policy right out.  Also, don't ever ship an item without seeing the funds in your PayPal account balance.

While I try not to have an automatic reaction on these types of things, I would seriously urge you to proceed cautiously.  High dollar items are inherent targets, and if the email seems even the slightest bit off, please take the time to check with those of us around here before letting go of the item.

The Canada boards are still fairly new, so you might check out the US boards in the Fraud and Phishing section for some examples of scam emails, posted by other members such as yourself.

I would also recommend reading up on advanced fee fraud to help spot anything suspicious going on with this one.  This article is lengthy, but good, and might help you spot anything "phishy" with your interaction.

Hope this helps,

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too

mfair
New Community Member

Hi - I was just contacted on CL in SF, i am selling dining room set for 6k.

Hi there ,

I will like to purchase this item for the said price but, i can make payment  via paypal , and after payments has been made ,i will arrange for pick up myself and also do want to let you know that i saw the pics. Let me know which is best for you and i will be happy to hear back from you.

Thank You!!

Seems fishy, doesnt even want to see the furniture in person?  or negotioate the price??  

If the money hits my paypal account and i withdraw it, what could go wrong after that?  i am thinking worst case, he doesnt pick up.. but that seems so unrealistic.  Any info greatly appreciated.

Thanks

michelle

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

mfair,

I think the question you should ask yourself is:

Who would be ok with buying a ***six thousand*** dollar dining set, sight unseen?

Well, someone who isn't using their own money, usually.  Smiley Wink

I don't think I would personally proceed with this sale.  In the meantime, check out the links above!

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too

lilabear69

ITS a scam  they will say your payment has been sent but there was xtra sent to pay thir shipping agent, and will you kindly do this for them...but yer paypal money wont be released to you until ou have paid this xtra fee...blah blah blah....Its a stupid one but tons of people who do not understand how paypal works fall for it...I have my van listed on craigslist and every other day i get some bozo wants to pay me thru paypal...sight unseen as they live else where  blah blah....pls. DO nOT fall for it....cash on the barrell head or nothing, be safe,be smart...and good luck!!Smiley Happy

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.