NIGERIA SCAM EMAIL ADDRESS

fruitshoot88
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I posted an item on Gumtreee and received an email from 'Greg Abel 'saying he  was interested in buying.

I replied informing it was still available at 65pounds, he then offered 90pounds and asked me to post.

I was immediately dubious as he offered so much so I didn't reply with my paypal address like he asked.

When i asked were to post to 'confirm' this was my reply...

I am sending it to my younger brother who is working in  one construction company in that country so you will help me to send the package to him but we are both the citizen of United Kingdom (Glasgow ).

City : Abeokuta
State: Ogun State
Zip Code: 23403

So get back to me with your paypal email address so that payment can be make on time..........

As you can uderstand I have replied saying I will not ship to Nigeria, and if the above contacts me again I will make moves to have the email account de-activated.

Other things to make me believe it was a scam, was were that they haven't used anywere near the correct grammer and they felt the need to state they were UK citizens.

Be aware of replies from            abelgreg24(AT)yahoo(DOT)co(DOT)uk

wouldnt allow me to contain the symbols of above address

Login to Me Too
20 REPLIES 20

fruitshoot88
Contributor
Contributor

Have now received a second email from a glorious(DOT)princess51(AT)gmail(DOT)com

I will like to buy this item and i will be offering you £70 including
the shipping fee because i want to buy it for my cousin that is living in
West Africa and i will like to
know the item condition also i will to be shipped from you to my cousin via
Post Office or via EMS so the payment will be make via Bank
Transfer cause am ready to pay for the item now also for the postage as am
really serious needed of this item urgently for my cousin get back to me
now with your bank info below for the payment asap...

Bank Name:
Bank Address:
Account Number:
Account Name:
Swift Code:
Email Address:

Willing to read from you soon..

again told them i will not post and any more correspondance means they will be reported

Login to Me Too

fkthosscamers
Contributor
Contributor

i got the same contact by greg abel i have hes email still offering more for the item and to say il send it quick thru paypal none stop i have had these fake messages from paypal saying transaction pending waiting lol you haveing a laugh 

and i got a message today from paypal saying if i dont send it the police will get involve infact the police cannot do anythink as i dont hafto send nothink to anyone if i dont trust them its there fault anyhow when they say i sent the money and its pending why dont they cancel the **bleep** transaciton form going ahead pmsl soem people think your thik or somethink always nigeria that comes up well desperate

Login to Me Too

fkthosscamers
Contributor
Contributor

i got the same contact by greg abel i have hes email still offering more for the item and to say il send it quick thru paypal none stop i have had these fake messages from paypal saying transaction pending waiting lol you haveing a laugh 

and i got a message today from paypal saying if i dont send it the police will get involve infact the police cannot do anythink as i dont hafto send nothink to anyone if i dont trust them its there fault anyhow when they say i sent the money and its pending why dont they cancel the **bleep** transaciton form going ahead pmsl soem people think your thik or somethink always nigeria that comes up well desperate

Login to Me Too

auntypuff
New Community Member

I have just been offered £60 for a pair off boots at £40 from that same address but a different name so is this a scam too?

Login to Me Too

fkthosscamers
Contributor
Contributor

yeh dnt trust anyone from gumtree if they say wat we hve mention already take my email address so i can send u the paypal scam i still hve them they look real r.i.c.k.y.b.u.r,t,o,n,2,4,@,h,o,t,m,a,i,l.co.uk email me so i can send you them tobe aware i hato put my email address cause it wont let u put addresses up

Login to Me Too

fruitshoot88
Contributor
Contributor

I would be very dubious about the message. I got an angry reply after I had told them I would not post anything and if they corresponded with me again I would report them.

I reported them to gumtree anyway as it was a 'dodgy message'. If anyone offers to pay over your asking price with no bidding/auction going on, then I would be a bit wary. There is no harm in replying to them, but if you have a gut feeling then act on it. You have every right to turn down a buyer.

In relation to the emails you received from paypal saying about police involvment, dont respond. I googled scams to check up and found its very common due to the laws in Nigeria, meaning you struggle to get any money or goods back. Just be cautious and if your not happy report the sender.

Good luck.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_barry

Hey there, theses scams seem to be everywhere at the moment. Unfortunately, extra vigilance is needed to spot the fraudsters. Some pointers would be

1)      Buyer offers more than sale price to get the item

2)      Buyer states that funds are in some form of Escrow or holding account. With funds to be released once delivery of the item has been confirmed.

3)      In the case of cars/large items. Buyers request that you advance funds so as they can hire the courier to collect from you.

Hope those are helpful.

Login to Me Too

emma_2011
New Community Member

i had one like tht he offered me 90 pounds for my ring he wanted me 2 send it 2 nigeria

Login to Me Too

IanTonge
Contributor
Contributor
it is clearly a new scam going around, I also recieved an email that looked just like the emails I get off paypal and it said the money has been taken out the buyers account and it will be placed in my account once the item has been sent off and a tracking order has been given to paypal. BULL****!  I will be reporting this to paypal. What was the address they wanted you to send yours to?
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.