private sale and shipping

g_jax98
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I advertised my camera lens on Gumtree and someone text me offering the full price plus an extra £10 for shipping, I agreed and requested the £95 total on PayPal, she said if i show paypal my  proof of shipping, tracking number and it will be signed upon delivery the money will be released by PayPal after that? I'm new to PayPal so I was skeptical but that is what it says on the website, however I don't know where to show my proof of shipping. Thanks

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@g_jax98

THIS IS A TYPICAL PAYPAL SCAM.

They encourage you to use paypal and may ask you to send the item internationally. They don't quibble on cost and may offer you more to tempt you.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.
They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

There is a new seller hold where tracking releases the funds BUT THE FUNDS SHOW IN YOUR PAYPAL ACCOUNT FIRST but in the pending section.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal do not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for selling protection but it is not compulsory.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

g_jax98
Contributor
Contributor

I think you're right as the emails came through as spam, it is too late as i have sent it although the post office said it won't be sent until Monday morning and won't arrive until Tuesday at 1pm. I have already replied to the email giving them the tracking number. is there anyway around this, how can I tell if it is not scam and is there anyway i can get my money back?

thanks for your help

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@g_jax98

You could try phoning the post office and see if you can get the parcel stopped.

And as for it not being a scam, if there is no payment in your paypal account balance = you have not been paid = SCAM.

Was it an international transaction? If not then its odd as that is not normal practice for scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

g_jax98
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah i will phone the post office helpline and get it cancelled, no it isn't international its within the uk but i guess they could always re-direct the parcel since they now have the reference number of the shipping. How disappointing...

thank you for your advice anyway

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.