Will Paypal give me the interest or keep it?

vJordannT_x
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I am not a new seller and have been on eBay since 2015, however it's suddenly convinient for them to hold my money when I make a big sale? So they're holding my £270 until 3 days after delivery, will they then credit me the interest that money earns?

I think this is some sick joke that after I phone paypal and ebay they tell me the same thing, Paypal tell me that the funds are held on information from ebay and ebay tell me that the funds are held because of seller protection? Or something like that?

Thank you for any answers.

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

IveForgotten
Contributor
Contributor

No they won't, they will keep it and delay paying you the money for as long as they can.

Legally, as you have not recieved your funds the contract with the seller is between them and PayPal at this point but eBay and PayPal keep that silent and shove it on to you. 

Just contact the financial ombudsman service in the UK

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/

Paypal have been warned over doing this many times.

Paypal are a payment processer, they are not allowed to withhold payment under any reason. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@vJordannT_x

Ebay and paypal are 2 separate companines with 2 separate policies for holds.

So yes they are legally allowed to hold your funds if you suddenly sell a high cost item against your normal selling history.

Complaining to the Financial Ombudsman is a waste of time as they APPROVED paypals UK user agreement with the right to holds IN that user agreement.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

vJordannT_x
Contributor
Contributor
I just think it's cheeky thath they'll keep hold of my money but not pay me the interest I could of earned on it?
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@vJordannT_x

Yes it may be a pain but they are within their right if you read the user agreement.

There are some so called back room lawyers that post on here but paypal would not put anything in their user agreement without it being thoroughly scrunitinised by those lawyers first.   Smiley Wink

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

IveForgotten
Contributor
Contributor

There are some so called back room lawyers that post on here but paypal would not put anything in their user agreement without it being thoroughly scrunitinised by those lawyers first. 

I'll still stand by my offer. I can link you if you would like some education?

However, to set the record. I'm not a lawyer, I'm not even a back room lawyer. I'm a guy who uses PayPal because it's mandatory for eBay. That's it, nothing more nothing less. 

You're a "volunteer advisor" who doesn't know who approves what and who's advice is to not contact the FOS when there is an issue.

Really, you're the last guy who should be giving advice, do you volunteer because you can't get paid work?

Login to Me Too

IveForgotten
Contributor
Contributor

Complaining to the Financial Ombudsman is a waste of time as they APPROVED paypals UK user agreement with the right to holds IN that user agreement.

No, the FSA\FCA does that.  Writing it in capitals doesn't make it a correct statement.

Would you like me to link you to Wikipedia so you can at least get some basic information on who does what?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@vJordannT_x

Here are the reasons for the hold  >>

Reasons why you may have returned to the hold as per link above possibly are >>>

1. New seller.

2. Not sold for a while and returned to selling.

3. Dipped star ratings on ebay.

4. Recent buyer disputes.

5. Selling on a different email address or ebay i.d.

6. Suddenly selling a high cost item against normal selling history?

Also more info for you on here.

https://www.paypal.com/selfhelp/article/FAQ1377/1/?country.x=GB&locale.x=en_GB

But as its an Ebay hold and not paypal your best bet is to contact them.

And ignore the troll that has never helped anyone apart from telling them to complain to the FSO  Smiley Wink

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

IveForgotten
Contributor
Contributor

And ignore the troll that has never helped anyone apart from telling them to complain to the FSO  Smiley Wink

Troll?

So telling people that they can get help (Please note, I never said complain to them, I said contact them - They be words you're putting in my posts good sir.) is trolling?

Really starting to question the "volunteer " part here. You sure you're not being paid you sly dog you. 

Also please note that Paypal opted into their "voluntary jurisdiction" service in 2007. 

Would like some statistics? (Granted there a few years old but hey, I'm not going to do all the teaching here. 

But yes, follow the "advisor" and ignore the troll. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.