Recorded Item not received overseas

lrolo2009
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there. I've sold an item to France and my buyer didn't received it. I've sent it recorded so I have proof of posting. I am a relatively experienced seller with 100% score and more than 450+ feedbacks and I've encounter a few problems on the way but, as far as I remember, never had to resort to the sellers protection scheme as the few items that didn't get delivered were low value, uk addresses, and most ended up being returned after a few weeks. This time I've advised my buyer to claim as I believe this is the only way I won't loose my money. The problem is that now that the buyer claimed and I've entered the parcel tracking number, I don't know what will happen next. Any tips?

Thank you for your help 🙂

Kind regards

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Seller protection is not for items lost in the post. Why would paypal refund your buyer for you if an item is lost??

If you can't prove with a tracking number DELIVERY of the item to the buyer then you will have to refund your buyer and if you don't then paypal will refund the buyer and put your account in negative until you pay them back again.

Normally if a buyer of mine does not get an item i just refund them. If i choose to send non trackable then that is my risk not the buyers. I certainly don't expect them to file a dispute to get a refund.  

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

lrolo2009
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you so much for your kind and encouraging words!

I never said the item was lost. Acoording to Royal Mail online tracking service, there was an attempt to deliver (that apparently failed). I'm sure this has never happened to you before because if it hasn't you would certainly also be thinking it is pretty unfair to have to refund any payment just because your buyer wasn't at the address to receive the package or didn't bothered to collect it from the local postal depo. Since you seam to be so knowledgeable of the Paypal protection, will you be so king as to explain why is it for after all?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

They were not supposed to be encouraging, I was merely giving you the FACTS.

Did you say anywhere that there was an attempted delivery to the buyer in your opening post?? No, so sorry telepathy is not one of my skills.

All you said was the item was not received by the buyer ie one would presume from that it was lost in the post.

If you don't give correct info then its difficult to give an accurate reply.

PayPal Seller Protection protects eligible sellers against losses due to buyer claims, credit card chargebacks and reversals resulting from unauthorised activity. To be eligible for Seller Protection, you must comply with the full terms and conditions listed in the policy.

In other words if a buyer files a false claim for an item lost in the post AND you provide a tracking number that proves delivery of the item to the buyer. then paypal will reject that claim.

Also if an account holder files for unauthorised access to his account eg he has had his account hijacked and you have sent an item then the innocent account holder gets his money returned BUT as long as you have met the criteria for seller protection ie sent trackable etc then you won't lose your funds.

The same if their is a chargeback - if a chargeback succeeds but you have again met the criteria for seller protection then you don't lose your money.

But it does not cover you for items lost or not delivered in the post.  BUT now you have given me more info on your problem and a delivery "was attempted" then as long as that is showing online for paypal to check then hopefully you won't lose the claim...as they will protect you if the buyer just did not pick up the item....hopefully.

But its best to give the full facts if you want advice on a topic and then you can take the advice or ignore it ...up to you. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.