Protection for buying outside ebay?

eggfriedrice
Contributor
Contributor
Hi

I am interested in buying a tablet that is listed on ebay. the seller says they can do so at a discounted price if we do the purchase outside ebay (avoiding the seller fees), if things were to go wrong would I be protected by paypal? I've read something about not sending money via friends and family, could someone clear this up.

Thanks
Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

_newt_
Contributor
Contributor

many people sell the same products on their own website, as they sell on their ebay site, but at a cheaper price, because there are no ebay fees when selling on their own website. paypal protects you either way, whichever site you buy from. But yes, do not send via friends and family, this removes all your protection, if things go wrong you can not open a dispute with a friend or family as this money is seen as a gift and not a purchase. 

Login to Me Too

eggfriedrice
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply, I bought the item via the pay for services option.

Paypal is such a magnificent service, before I thought it only applied to purchases with retailers but protecting private purchases as well is such a great idea. Smiley Happy

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@eggfriedrice

ok, its actually against Ebay rules for sellers to advertise their items on Ebay and then when they have interest to suggest doing an off ebay transaction so be careful.

Also whilst you may have buyer protection for non receipt of item you may not have buyer protection for item received but not as described.

If the item is misdescribed then paypal won't look at the Ebay auction as it was not purchased via Ebay, they would look at the information you put on the payment when you sent it and if you just put payment for tablet and you received a ''toy'' tablet then you may lose a dispute for ''item received but not as described'' as a tablet is what you got.

So be VERY wary of sellers offering off Ebay deals.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

eggfriedrice
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the information, will definitely keep that in mind! 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.