Paypal sides with buyer even though she altered the item

mrsB_770
Contributor
Contributor
I recently sold a handbag through eBay. The buyer alleged that the bag had an odor and so she washed the bag with detergent and water. She stated that washing it didn't remove the odor so she washed it again with another mix. I maintain that this bag had no odor and whatever she did to the bag made her ask for a return because it is an expensive buy. She opened a refund with eBay, but eBay sided with me because the bag could not be returned in the quality in which it was received. They released the funds to me. She went past eBay and filed through PayPal. Paypal sided with her within a day. How is this possible? I have to accept a return on an item that was washed TWICE?
Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mrsB_770

You would need to contact them and ask them.

We only hear one side of a dispute on here and paypal have heard both sides.

We can't comment on a decision they made.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

mrsB_770
Contributor
Contributor
I totally understand that, however, the buyer sent messages through eBay stating that she soaked the item in detergent and water twice, which is why eBay sided with me. It's a handbag valued at $1200. I asked Paypal why they made a different decision and their response was just, well if it's not the way it was when you sent it then you can appeal, but I feel that it's basically ignoring my seller protection. It's bizarre. They said to send the evidence of the messages AGAIN if I receive it and the item is different. I should not have to bother with that. I know that the item will be in a different condition because it's been washed. As usual, the seller getting the shaft. It's also very misleading when eBay said a "final decision" has been made, but the buyer can overstep eBay. My main question is, why is there no recourse for me as a seller before having to take the item back? She sent identical messages to eBay and Paypal so how does one side with me and one with her. Paypal seems to be far less about taking details into account. Thanks for your response.
Login to Me Too

mrsB_770
Contributor
Contributor
Also, as a buyer it seems strange and unfair to return an item when I will dispute the condition and now the buyer will be out of the item and their money. I wish there were a person who could speak to me "off script" about the issue.
Login to Me Too

PTWC
Contributor
Contributor

outrageous, I have just posted a similar post.  Sorry I cannot add any advice just my sympathies.

Login to Me Too

PTWC
Contributor
Contributor

outrageous, I have just posted a similar post.  Sorry I cannot add any advice just my sympathies.

Apart from anything else, who washes a handbag!

@mrsB_770 wrote:
I recently sold a handbag through eBay. The buyer alleged that the bag had an odor and so she washed the bag with detergent and water. She stated that washing it didn't remove the odor so she washed it again with another mix. I maintain that this bag had no odor and whatever she did to the bag made her ask for a return because it is an expensive buy. She opened a refund with eBay, but eBay sided with me because the bag could not be returned in the quality in which it was received. They released the funds to me. She went past eBay and filed through PayPal. Paypal sided with her within a day. How is this possible? I have to accept a return on an item that was washed TWICE?

Login to Me Too

mrsB_770
Contributor
Contributor
After two days of awaiting the buyer's response, the buyer has now closed the case and I will be given my funds. Upon using the words "unusable" due to odor and stating the odor was strong enough to smell from another room, the buyer has chosen to keep the item. This is merely conjecture, but the buyer maybe did not want to pay return shipping and also risk sending back an item damaged on their end. Who would keep such an item after spending almost 1k, unless of course I never sent a damaged product. This was no thanks to Paypal, who took none of the evidence into account. I feel elated that I will not be receiving a damaged item which I would have had to go through the run around to prove. Seller beware.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.