PayPal Funds

justinandtori
Contributor
Contributor

So mine is more of an opinion to gathering feedback.

I am not new to Paypal nor is my partner however it was the first time I sold something on EBAY and had nothing but bad luck.

I GOT SCAMMED! How? Well it was simple, I asked Paypal ON THE PHONE if everything was correct BEFORE sending my parcel which included a PS4 and games. They said yup all looks great, but you need the tracking ID number for the funds to be released.... Now the problem.

I SEND THE PACKAGE...

I RING PAYPAL AND PUT THE TRACKING ID THROUGH EBAY

WAIT, I CHECK MY PAYPAL, FUNDS SENT

THEN MY FUNDS RETURNED TO THE "BUYER"

I ASKED WHY? APPARENTLY I NEVER CONTACTED PAYPAL. THEY NEVER SAID IT WAS SAFE TO SEND.

I LOST CLOSE TO $900 WORTH OF PRODUCT AND POSTAGE COSTS. AND ALL I GET TOLD WAS THERE IS NOTHING THEY CAN DO. I WAS SCAMMED.

Now I am over it, I accept fault for even trusting it. And now I refuse to send anything without funds being cleared. This usually means I dont use PayPal. Buyers that I have spoken to about this understand and are happy for me to post after funds clear.

My issue is that there is "buyer" protection... where is seller protection? I had a tracking ID on the package that then apparently couldnt get found, I called, I emailed both EBAY and PAYPAL and was told that I should have picked up the signs of a scam.

Now obviously Paypal wont compensate me nor will Ebay so my only request is that funds are available IMMEDIATELY. NOT THIS CRAP WITH WAITING! Thats not fair on the seller. ESPECIALLY when the seller then has to pay postage!

PayPal is great but has its flaws. And maybe if someone working for Paypal cares enough to even compensate me the littlest bit would have been greatly appreciated. But I recieved nothing 😞

Be carefull buying and selling using paypal. You never know when your going to get scammed!

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

There are 2 separate things.

First the new seller hold, this is when paypal hold the funds until tracking shows delivery of the item BUT THE FUNDS ALWAYS SHOW IN YOUR PAYPAL ACCOUNT BALANCE even though they are pending.

The second is a scam where you get a fake email to say you have been paid when you haven't and the FUNDS DO NOT SHOW IN YOUR PAYPAL ACCOUNT  BALANCE.

That is what they meant by saying they had not told you it was safe to send, you must have reacted to a spoof email.

The funds were not returned to the buyer, they were never sent, it was a spoof email.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item until the funds are showing in your paypal account balance.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send trackable, they advise it for seller protection but its not compulsory it just means your funds are released from their  pending state IN YOUR PAYPAL BALANCE more quickly.

Was it sent to somewhere in Africa??

I give up my time to help you so a thank you or kudos would be cool.

Marking one of my replies as a solution would be appreciated if I sorted your problem.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

justinandtori
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your feedback,

When you said I must have reacted to an email it wasnt an email that I reacted too. I actually called the number provided to me through my paypal account AND ebays accounts. Before doing anything besides paying the postage (which I can then send when i am ready). They had told me on the phone that it was safe. That is when I continued.

However when we rang to ask how long till the funds where cleared thats when they asked for the tracking ID number and proccedded to tell me they had no information about the sale.

After trying to contact AusPost and Ebay I got told I could try a few things to get my parcel back but I had no response at all from any companies. That is why I ended up giving up on ever recieving any compensation. Even got charged a fee from Paypal which they wont return.

I just want everyone to know that this is a re-occuring thing for a lot of people and to be very carefull when selling/buying off of sites. The smallest thing can turn into a scam whether picked up or not at an early stage.

The biggest reason I stopped was the funds not being availble but just seen for a short time on the account before returned.

I even took all the information to the police but they said to go through Paypal.

Little help but I have DEFINETLY learnt my lesson! Now I know how to do it as I have done it a few times since and had a better experience.

Only one problem but we can work around that 🙂

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.