Fraud

TheresaScheel21
New Community Member

I received an email from this: 

service at paypal.co.uk® <customerservicecarelink at consultant.com>

Claiming I had been paid for the product and the parcel service to Nigera. First the person asked me to request a certain amount, which she then accpeted! I saw the amount on my mobilie pay pal account but not on my account when i logged in on my computer. The second email i received statying that she paid me also for the shipping costs to nigera landed in my spam folder, when i looked at it i just thought that that is not the email address that i usually get from paypal. Also the money didnt show anywhere. 

The person contacted me via ebay, really keen on buying the product right here right then! Once the payment 'had been done' she said she want the parcel to go out today! Luckily I didnt have time to go, but i can see that some people may have jumped at the opportunity to sell something. 

(removed by moderator) that is her ebay account and her email was: 

I am sure it will all be deleted once the scam falls apart! 

Can anyone tell me what to do so she won't try this anywhere else?

Post edited to comply with forum guidelines. Personal information should not be posted.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

THIS IS A TYPICAL SCAM.

They encourage you to use paypal and often ask you to send the item as a gift to a relative somewhere often Nigeria.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.

It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

Or if the item requires shipping they will tell you that they will pay you extra and you must pay the agent via western union / moneygram BEFORE the funds are released to you. They are not interested in the item, they just want the western union etc funds and you will never see money in your paypal balance.

They also threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send trackable, they advise it for seller protection etc but it is not compulsory.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Not a lot you can do about it as nothing is actually done using paypals site and often the email addresses and the ebay id's are hacked from other users.

So it would be good to remove that email address from the board to protect the innocent account holder when it gets returned to them.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Jasmin_Moffatt
Contributor
Contributor

I have recently been the victim of fraud. The ebay user conradn messaged me about buying an item off me. Offering far higher than the buy it now pricce i was asked to send a paypal request for the money. I did this off my phone and then received an email to say the money had left their account and was in mine. On my mobile phone app it said it was pending. I then received several irrate messages from the ebay user because i had not sent the item next day delivery, even though i had infact specified it was a 2-3 turn around time. I received an email to say i needed to send proof of postage and this would be verified via an email address (clientcarecentre). This whole thing is a scam and i sent the package and receieved no money. All the 'pay pal' emails i was sent looked genuine but were in fact false ones. When i spoke to the official pay pal they stated they were unable to do anything because although on my mobile app it said the money was pending on my account when accessed via laptop there was no activity and the person i had sent the request to for money was fake and not linked to any pay pal account. be very very careful as these scammers are obviously well practised at this and now how to make it look real - the emails look genuine. When i went back to re read the emails i did start to notice certain grammar errors and spelling which looked like some of the email had been written by a foreign person. If you receive any email where it tells you to send the item and proof postage prior to securing money in account do not sell and report immediately.

Login to Me Too

Gogetem

Hi everyone,

We need to fight back against these horrible "scamscum" who think they can just do what they want and get away with it.

We need to be cleverer than them and even if it is solved in our favour by Ebay/Paypal or whoever, WHY should that be the end of it?. We need to post and keep posting on these sites, facebook and others, if we have names, addresses etc, and if these names and addresses are the innocent victims too, then they need to join in, as they will see the person who knocks at their door claiming something was sent there and it was a mistake!

United we stand, divided we fall - the Rogue trader programmes and RIP off Britain are great, but not interested in small stuff, but small stuff to some people is massive to others, so come on post everything you know about your proposed scammer and let's make it harder and harder for them to scam any of us.

Of course there are probably some scammers reading this right now, well if there are, I hope you can sleep at night, and you truly are scamscum of the earth, and you have to live with that, until one day it catches up with you, or the police do!

One name I have is Michael Bamberger - BEWARE everyone and if you're reading this Michael, yes you picked on the wrong person this time.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.