suspended "send to friends and family" option in my account : cause and how to resolve it

rulerpeace
Contributor
Contributor

Hello I have a bizzare problem. I discovered on Tuesday that my account can send money only "for goods and services". Not possible to choose between 2 options. I was not aware of that so as I did so many times for so many years, typed in the email address of recipient, amount currency and sent. First I noticed that from 180 EUR I tried to send 11 was cut out as the fee, which was strange. And then I contacted recipient and understood that the money is not available. ...for the recipient. Moreover they asked her to provide proof that she sent me the goods (?!!!). I repeat, I did not intend to send the money to a seller because this is not the case. I raised a dispute but as there was no proper purpose offered in paypal dialogue, I chose "unauthorized transaction" which was not completely true, but I had no other option. Now as it was dismissed by Paypal as unjust, I cannot raise any other claim of a kind for THAT transaction. Can she still receive money but not as a seller? Or transaction to be canceled and money refunded back to my account?

And what could be the cause of behaviour of my account?

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@rulerpeace 

Friends/family option is not available in every country and so all payments sent or received would be as per goods/services and subject to the new seller hold as per below link. Check to see if your country is one of those unable to use the f/f option.

https://www.paypal.com/rs/cshelp/article/why-is-my-payment-on-hold-or-unavailable-help126

https://www.paypal.com/rs/cshelp/article/how-can-i-release-my-payments-on-hold-HELP129

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

rulerpeace
Contributor
Contributor

Hello @kernowlass 

Thanks for advice. I could not find country list, but as I stated this has never been the case before, and even more important, I am not the seller, nor have I ever been. The links below relate to sellers.

Best regards

Vladimir

Login to Me Too

rulerpeace
Contributor
Contributor

...neither seller nor buyer in this case @kernowlass 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@rulerpeace 

If you don't have the friends/family option then all payments are sent as if you were a seller ie goods/services.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

rulerpeace
Contributor
Contributor
Thank You for hint. But pleasecan You give me advice what to do. Money is in nowhere's land: Recipient cannot receive money (it is visible but blocked) unless she provides evidence that she sent money, and for me transaction is in status "completed". No option for claim and dispute. When will Paypal release money and to whom if the status quo remains?
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@rulerpeace 

I gave you information on both the hold and the ways to release the funds in both of the links I posted for you in my first reply.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

rulerpeace
Contributor
Contributor

Kudos for forwarding me to articles. I read them. THank You for taking Your time. The problem with the articles is that they assume that I am aware of, and in comercial relation with the recipient (buying services or goods and that they are seller). None of that is the case. That is why I cannot do anything further at the moment, myself. Nor the recipient side can. I managed to catch X (ex-Twitter) paypal support an hour ago, they asked me for inputs, so I guess they will be able to do something or at least tell me what to do myself. Closing account is not an option, because money is stuck and I have an open case.   

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@rulerpeace 

I have already told you that the payment would have processed as a goods/services payment whether you are in a commercial transaction or not it would still be viewed and processed as if it were.

So the release of funds would apply to the information in the second link that I posted for you as you are in a commercial transaction whether you want to be or not as that is how the payment was sent.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

rulerpeace
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

The information in the article doesn't seem to reflect the options that I have at the moment. The last hint from Paypal X Support was to check to monitor the status of the transaction in the following days (to confirm "complete order") and also advised me to advise recipient to opt for refund option.But at the recipient's side it, situation is quite insane. Not only that at the recipient side my transfer is on hold (yet visible), but paypal treats me as the SELLER not a buyer (?!!!). Which means that even if the "refund option" showed up, it would mean  "ask seller to refund" not "refund to buyer"

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.