Attempted phishing/scam from MacAfee Ireland Ltd and receipt from PayPal

possum50
Contributor
Contributor

About 2 years ago, I purchased the McAfee antivirus. I dumped it within a few days as it was interrupting things and spamming me all the time. I can't recall if I tried to get the money back or put it down to experience. The same thing last year when they invoiced me and today in my email, I received an invoice from McAfee Ireland Ltd for a one-year subscription of $99.95 and the email; below was what looked to be a PayPal receipt for this. I don't actually keep any money in my PayPal account, I simply pay for things by ordering through PayPal in one transaction. I put in a report to PayPal and also checked my actual bank account which showed no change in balance. PayPal has gotten back to me saying there were no recorded transactions and closed my ticket, although I just received another email telling me they'd also cancelled the billing agreement with McAfee. I am now confused! Did it happen or didn't it? Were those 2 emails from McAfee an attempt to get me to mindlessly renew the sub via their link, or simply to click on their link so they could get information? Can anyone explain ?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@possum50 

A lot of times what happens is people accept a free trial for a product, like anti virus, and forget to cancel and it auto renews. Be careful what you are accepting.

Check if you had had a subscription set up.
Click on the profile tab (icon next to log out) > Click on payments third option along on the thick blue band top of page > "manage pre-approved payments.''

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@possum50 

A lot of times what happens is people accept a free trial for a product, like anti virus, and forget to cancel and it auto renews. Be careful what you are accepting.

Check if you had had a subscription set up.
Click on the profile tab (icon next to log out) > Click on payments third option along on the thick blue band top of page > "manage pre-approved payments.''

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

possum50
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you so much, Kernowlass. You were spot on. I've edited some others out as well, not that they caused any problem but you never know.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.