A square email from PayPal

Mmariee
New Community Member

Hi there! I want to make sure if this email is not a scam. I received an email from Squareup.com ([removed]),  from someone who told me they were going to pay me through paypal, it looks like a legit receipt, but nothing is showing in my paypal, it says: 

“Check (You received a payment of $300.00 USD from (Name )but we have a problem crediting your account with that amount, because the status of your account is not a business (my account has a business status) user which makes your account limit as this amount is above your limit. We won’t be able to credit your account until your account limit has been expanded. Note: You have to take this urgent step to expand your limit. We want to confirm that the information in your PayPal account is accurate as we noticed some suspicious activity in your account.You’re to contact the last payer to your account (Name )to send you an additional payment of $200.00 USD to your account to expand your account limit, as soon as this is done, the total sum of $500.00 USD will be credited to your account. An alert has been sent to (Name )also, in regards to the additional payment he/she has to send to your account. Note: You’re to refund the $200.00 USD back. )”

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Mmariee 

100% SCAM.

You never pay any upfront fee as a seller.

Ignore scammers that send fake Paypal emails telling you that you need to pay an upfront fee to verify/upgrade/or any other reason to 'accept' a payment.

You would certainly never have to send funds via another payment processor/bitcoins/ or tokens/vouchers of any sort.

Any fee is auto deducted by Paypal at the same instant the remainder of the payment is credited to your Paypal account balance.

No funds in your balance = you have not yet been paid, even pending/held payments will still show in your Paypal account activity.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Mmariee 

100% SCAM.

You never pay any upfront fee as a seller.

Ignore scammers that send fake Paypal emails telling you that you need to pay an upfront fee to verify/upgrade/or any other reason to 'accept' a payment.

You would certainly never have to send funds via another payment processor/bitcoins/ or tokens/vouchers of any sort.

Any fee is auto deducted by Paypal at the same instant the remainder of the payment is credited to your Paypal account balance.

No funds in your balance = you have not yet been paid, even pending/held payments will still show in your Paypal account activity.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.