Tried to change my name and my accoung was banned?! There is money sitting in it too. Help!

DreadPixie
Contributor
Contributor

So I opened my account years ago under a pseudoname because I was using it for Streaming and didn't want any donors to see my legal name. I no longer stream and was in need of using PayPal for personal reasons, so upon submitting my driver's license and info for a name change I was met a day or two later with a message saying that I was a minor and that my account was closed. I'm not a minor, I'm in my 30's. My ID is current and non-expired. I have several hundred dollars tied up in this account now that I can no longer do anything with. Can anybody help me out here?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@DreadPixie 

Sorry. The money is stuck. They don’t let you change your name to an entirely different person. You never use fake name (or account info in general) in the first place because of this reason. If PayPal allow this easy changing of names then anyone can swoop in and claim money/account not theirs. 

PayPal knows typically minors use pseudoname for streaming on Twitch, etc from their experience/stats so they may have lumped you in with that crowd and they can see the date one opened account vs the birthdate on ID, too. If user was minor at the time they opened account in general, they ban account, too.

And besides, PayPal allow name change for certain cases: marriage/divorce, fix a couple letters, and update a nickname (ie. Jimmy to James). If name change is too different than on your ID, they reject it.

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/how-do-i-change-the-name-on-my-paypal-account-faq926

Wait a few years and check unclaimed property under that pseudoname at the state of Delaware comptroller or under your state to try and claim the money from them. You ain’t gonna get it from PayPal. But guess what? How do you prove the unclaimed money is yours to to the state? It’s a complex situation. 

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.