Seller switched shipping location to stick me with import charges

Netherspark
Contributor
Contributor

I've bought some audio equipment from a website that sells globally but are based in China.  They claim they have warehouses in the UK, Europe, China and the US, and when you make your purchase you can select which country you want it shipped from.  I obviously chose the UK but they have instead dispatched it from China.  This will cost me a ton in import charges, plus it makes returning it virtually impossible.

I contacted the seller immediately to cancel the shipping and resend it from the UK (and to cancel the order outright if they can't).  They have responded only once to say "let me check"...  I have heard nothing more from them for two full days.  They are not responding to any of my emails nor the so-called 'live chat'.  Meanwhile the tracking shows that the package is continuing to move through the Chinese postal service and is about to head overseas.

I should refuse to pay any charges and let it be returned to sender, but their Terms state they will deduct the cost of shipping from any refund (shipping I did not ask for!).

This is blatantly deceptive, if not bloody illegal.   Is there anything Paypal can do in this situation?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_RachelK

Hi @Netherspark,

Thank you for your post!

I am sorry to hear about your negative with your seller. I know this must be concerning. As the buyer, you would be liable to pay for any Import/customs charges I'm afraid. If you choose to refuse to pay them, you would not be eligible under PayPal's Buyer Protection Policy to open a dispute. 

PayPal's Buyer Protection Policy covers transactions when you don't receive an item, or the item you receive is not as described. Items that have not been collected from customs would not be considered as Item Not Received. 

I would suggest you contact the seller again to see what options you have with them. If you have any further concerns please don't hesitate to contact our Customer Support.

To contact us, simply click here. Alternatively, you can contact us via Facebook https://www.facebook.com/PayPal or Twitter @AskPayPal.

I hope this helps!

- Rachel 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.