I got this message from Paypal " You can't use PayPal anymore"

motovita
Contributor
Contributor

I got this message from Paypal 

You can't use PayPal anymore At PayPal, we value a safe community for our customers to do business. We noticed activity in your account that’s inconsistent with our User Agreement and we no longer offer you PayPal services. Based on this decision, if applicable, you are no longer eligible for PayPal Seller Protection as per our User Agreement. This will apply to all existing and future cases you receive. Any bank or credit card information linked to your PayPal account cannot be removed nor can it be used to create a new account. You can still log in and see your account information but you can’t send or receive money. Any money in your balance will be held for 180 days, after which we’ll send you an email with instructions about transferring your money. Reference ID: PP-L-415883634547

I don't know why, I'm concerned it was triggered by a purchase i inadvertently made to a scam website. Does anyone know of a reason I would get this message?

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@motovita 

Most common reasons for an account limitation are:-

1. You have a previously limited account (temporary or permanent) and you have tried to open a new account and not resolved the issues with the other account first.
2. Using a VPN.
3. Not being in the country where you have opened a Paypal account.
4. Being under 18 / minor account.
5. Having 2 Paypal accounts or more of the same account type.
6. Not having your legal name on your Paypal account.
7. Selling items (often virtual or digital) that Paypal consider a high risk of disputes/chargebacks OR items that violate their acceptable use policy.
8. Using the friends/family option for sales transactions to try and evade Paypal fees and risk of disputes.
9. Violating their acceptable use policy as per link.
https://www.paypal.com/us/legalhub/acceptableuse-full?locale.x=en_US
10. Too many disputes/claims.
If none of those then...

You need to contact customer services to resolve any limitation or account specific issues.
Click help / contact bottom left of Paypal pages for options available for your country.

Or have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their Facebook or Twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

motovita
Contributor
Contributor

I contacted Paypal customer service by phone, I'm old school, and a nice person told me that the only information available is what I got in the email and there's no way to question or appeal the decision, my account is locked and will be closed in 180 days. I have no idea what I did wrong and no way to find out. I'm not an internet seller and don't use Paypal that often, I never received any warnings or questions from Paypal, I'd sure like to know what I did wrong.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@motovita 

Actually the account is not closed in 180 days it remains permanently limited. 

The 180 days refers to the time after which you can remove any funds that may be in the account, but it does not mean you get the account back or that it is closed unfortunately.

Paypal limits it to stop you removing anything from it.
They don't want you to be able to use anything linked to it to try and open another Paypal account.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

motovita
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, I guess the bottom line is that Paypal doesn't want me and I'll never know why and I should just sign up with one of the other services and move on.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@motovita 

Seems to be your only option unfortunately.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.