Credit Card Company Rater Than PayPal To Resolve Counterfeit Issue

intenselymagic
Contributor
Contributor

I fell for a Chinese scam. Not proud of it, but I did. A couple of years ago, I bought a printer, it turns out from a Chinese company, and they used the "send a trinket to prove delivery" ruse. When I filed a claim showing the UPS records showed a 4 oz weight for a 30 lb printer, they told me weight didn't matter. After a series of calls, I finally found a CS rep with a little sense and she reversed the transaction. I was just lucky. As so many have found here, Paypal is not interested in making sure a transaction is legal and will deny most every claim.

This time, it was coins. Undeniably and provably counterfeit. They haven't even been issued! Anyway, I can get my money back, but returning them and waiting months and IF the seller doesn't make up some cackamamie BS story I might get a refund.

It's illegal to ship counterfeit coins. Period. At least as far as I can tell. Paypal tells me, it's OK, but I even called the USPS inspectors office and was told no. The Paypal CS Representative could give me no reference.

Anyway, I'm inclined to blow off the PayPal sham process and proceed through my credit card company.

Any suggestions?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

TonyTam
Contributor
Contributor

Well, it depends.

In most cases if posible it is really better to pay via bank cards directly, no doubt.

But there are web-stores, donations, personal payments out there on the web you can't get rid of PayPal to make a transaction.

Or related services like kiva.org (born out of PayPal team back in the days) - give out and return back your funds.

So its more about variety, simplicity and worldwide-known payment brand to start dealing with any new person around the globe (new to PayPal, I mean, persons who don't have an account but are easy-going to create one because they likely hear about), not just protect your purchases.

Yes, its true that you have double unnecessarily protection paying via PayPal and credit card behind. That sometimes could cause a mess or oppotunity for scammers, if you are a seller on eBay via PayPal for instance.

Seller has least rights on PayPal system and is always preliminary gilty in any actions.

Remember that old days when Internet was young, the main idea of PayPal was to make money move around the globe via the Web, across the coutries, across the borders of any kind. It wasn't just out right, it tooks years or decades, but still there is nothing alike accept cryptocurrencies that are not controlled, monitored or protected in any form. You simply can't technically make a claim or refund through third-party support. (Moreover they are restricted in some countries but still in the game unofficially.) So, PayPal still has no other worldwide competitor, thats a fact.

Greets from Moscow, Russia. We got PayPal here in early 2010s with limited withdrawal possibilities only, then advanced. Now PayPal is resticted to local inner transactions, and works only cross-border because of some special local Russian inner-country law. (There are plenty of other services available anyway.) But still its a great service to pay and get paid overseas. I was an eBay seller too. Got scammed (not because of eBay), account was limited for some years, PayPal fees feels quite high and redicilous in some cases, but still I think its a great worlwide service despite of many facts.

Look at PayPal stocks traded out there: Shares Outstanding 1.18 B, Public Float 1.17 B shares. That means 99% free-float. PayPal is out of control by any single group or person. As much as many other banks or old companies. I think that's why CS is weak and company has little will to act clearly and strongly in special cases. Or upgrade its service.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.