I found something tax related left out of the purchase_units and items object arrays for SDK

matthewperosi
Contributor
Contributor

My software platform takes a lot of tax implications into account that will soon be trouble for everyone selling online. 

Every state has different rules for taxation of shipping charges and handling fees. 

Currently the purchase_units.amount.breakdown allows for the item_total, shipping, handling, tax_total, and discount. 

Currently the purchase_units.items allows for unit_price and tax.

What's missing is a way to indicate handling per item and the tax on shipping.

Presumably, if an item has handling and if that handling is taxable, then the tax for the handling would be included in the purchase_units.items.tax.

Here's what you need to do:

1. Create a purchase_units.amount.breakdown.shipping_tax field so the shipping tax can be sent.

2. Require the purchase_units.amount.breakdown.shipping_tax + the purchase_units.items.tax = purchase_units.amount.breakdown.shipping

3. Require that the purchase_units.amount.breakdown.handling = total of the purchase_units.items.handling

You have to break it down this way because some states require tax on handling but not shipping, however, if the checkout process lumps shipping & handling together then the shipping gets taxed as well. 

My current situation forces me to be creative in how the shipping tax is included in the tax for one of the items in order for the tax_total to be correct. 

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.