Quicken Web Connect

RandyS
Contributor
Contributor

For the laqst several years Quicken has only accepted Web Connect as its format to download transactions.  They haven't accepted the .qif for several versions so any of us that have the newer versions can't download into our quicken program.  Anyway you'll can frix the problem?

Login to Me Too
119 REPLIES 119

ChrisCowles
Contributor
Contributor

This should not be necessary, but it works for QIF export from PayPal's web site, to get the PayPal QIF export into a Quicken checking account. After an initial history download, the standard one-step update will maintain it.

From http://mattmc3.blogspot.com/2009/09/quicken-2009-first-impressions.html:

[excerpt]

Here are the step-by-step instructions for getting MS Money data into Quicken 2009:

1. Create a "cash account" in Quicken. You won't need to keep this, but you must have one while importing your historic data.
  2. Create a single account for either your Checking, Savings, or credit card account. Whichever you're going to import first. For simplicity, name the account "Checking", "Savings", or "CCard" and tell Quicken that you'll manually add the transactions rather than connect to your bank. Even if you have multiple accounts of the same type, you'll only be importing one at at time.
  3. Export all the transactions for an account from MS Money to a QIF file. I recommend NOT exporting to "strict" QIF unless your Quicken import fails. Start with the loose QIF.
  4. Open the QIF file in a text editor (notepad). At the top of the file insert the following text, replacing "Checking" with "Savings", or "CCard" if you're importing one of the other account types. Be careful not to delete anything already in the file, and don't leave any empty lines.

!Option:AutoSwitch
!Account
NChecking
TBank
^
N
Checking
TBank
^
!Clear:AutoSwitch
!Account
N
Checking
TBank
^

5. Import the .QIF file. You'll need to choose the "cash account" you created in step 1 as the destination. Of course, that's just a ruse to fool Quicken because if all goes as planned, the import should go to the account you named "Checking", "Savings", or "CCard". You'll likely get a dialog box that says your file has new categories in it - say "yes" to add the categories. If all goes well, you should get a success dialog. If you don't get a success dialog, you're on your own. This worked without a hitch for all my accounts. You might try the "strict" QIF in step 3.

Login to Me Too

ScottMc101

I just want to go on record (again) as being yet another customer who DESPARATELY NEEDS QUICKEN SUPPORT!  I have been with paypal for over 10 years (back to the days when it was x.com) and I have never had this kind of issue until a few years ago.  Any idiot can see that there are currently 6+ pages of people who NEED HELP. 

Why is it that no one at Paypal gives a **bleep**!  Have you guys ever heard of customers?  We are the ones who cause you to have a job!  If Paypal didn't have customers, they would have no business.  We're not asking for crazy new features, or even to support an ancient product like Peachtree. 

NEWSFLASH!  Most of us use PaylPal for Business!

That means we have to do typical business things like reconcile our accounts and mos of us use standard tools like Quicken.  The QIF format has been dead since 2007 (thats 3 years for those of you in India).  GUYS - GET WITH THE PROGRAM!!!! 

Everyone else - keep complaining, sending emails, tickets, requests, and calling their useless tech support - maybe one day there will be someone at PayPal who actually cares about what the customers need!

Login to Me Too

tactician
Contributor
Contributor

i hqve quicken 2010 and after a quicken update a few months ago paypal showed perfectly fine as a checking type account, and downloaded all transactions from paypal without fail, as of approx 10-12 days ago it can no longer retrieve paypal data, i recall seeing the pardon our virtual dust message at the top of my paypal page that day, and that night, and every night since i can no longer download my paypal trasactions using the express web connect which was working perfectly for months previously, please fix this issue as it is the reason i bought quicvken in the 1st place, with the amount of transactions going through my paypal on a daily basis it is the exact opposite of cost effective, thanks!

Login to Me Too

Amanda411

Hi All,

We are listening and realize that this is a serious issue for you.  We definitely want to solve the problem and it’s something we’re working on. 

This is something that will take time but we’ll let you know when we have more to report.

Amanda

Login to Me Too

bellzerr
Contributor
Contributor

Any more news on this? I'm using Quicken Home & Business 2010.

Thanks!

Login to Me Too

tactician
Contributor
Contributor

since my post a few pages back, i just keep doing a backup like norma under the menu, then i delete the paypal account and then re-add it itr shows up properly as checking account once again, add in my info then update, delete all the transactions it imports upon adding the paypal account, then i restore the backup and it works again for a few weeks/months until i have to repeat this process again

Login to Me Too

egoldy
Contributor
Contributor

First of all, add me to the list of people that can't get this to work.

In addition, if anyone from PayPal is actually monitoring this site, let me say that your customer support is the absolute worst I've ever seen.   I tried calling into support (before I found this thread) to find out why I could not download transactions into Quicken 2010.

Called the number on the back of my card and got the most annoying IVR ever.   Forced me to enter my account number, some other pieces of info and then proceded to give me my balance, last payment, etc. etc.  -- couldn't skip it.   FORCED me to sit through that, THEN tried to sell me on some other stupid program.   THEN presented me with useless options as I cursed and yelled that I wanted an agent.

I finally got an agent and quickly said, "look, I know you won't know what I"m trying to do, can you please get me to someone in the on-line group that understands how to download transactions from your card into Quicken".   The Indian rep said, "CanI please have your name and the last four digits of your social security number?".   Why?   You're not going to solve my problem.   I already validated my account with the other stupid part of your process.   Fine, I gave it to them.   SHe goes away for 5 minutes, comes back and says that she's going to transfer me to someone.   Amazingly, I think she might have actually transferred me to someone who knew something -- "hello, this is Bruce, can I help you?".  I start speaking and get immediately disconnected.    (#*&(#&$(&*

I call back again, and have to through THE ENTIRE THING AGAIN to get to another indian rep.   This time the idiot transfers me to Paypal -- an even more clueless experience.    That rep tells me that she knows what I need -- and TRANSFERS ME BACK TO THE ORIGINAL NUMBER I CALLED (where I had to go through the validation process yet again).

I just gave up.   

I"m ready to cancel this card.   

The fact that it's tied to ebay is the only reason I have it.   

Login to Me Too

bellzerr
Contributor
Contributor

I forget who originally suggested it, but this works for me.

• Account setup
  • Disable online update
  • Save setup
  • Back in to account setup
  • Enable online update & save
  • Voila! All is right with the world once again. No new accounts. No duplicate transactions. It just works as it should.

Login to Me Too

PPSmalltown
Contributor
Contributor

This didn't work for me. Maybe people who find it works or doesn't work can say what version of Quicken they're using? I'm using 2009, and having no luck with this method. Like with everyone else, Paypal just stopped working and never started again.

Login to Me Too

ProfQuill
Contributor
Contributor

I recently griped about the inconsistency of downloading Paypal transactions into a Quicken account, and that behavior continues, but I believe, perhaps along with updating from Q2009 to Q2011, I am seeing that, when a transaction IS downloaded, what should be a DEPOSIT is being entered as a PAYMENT.

Here's a snippet of the Quicken OFX log for such a transaction:

<BANKTRANLIST>
<DTSTART>20101108
<DTEND>20101110
<STMTTRN>
<TRNTYPE>DEBIT
<DTPOSTED>20101110
<DTUSER>20101110
<TRNAMT>-3
<FITID>20101110PaymentFromPanelPayment-3.00
<NAME>Payment Panel Payment
</STMTTRN>
<STMTTRN>
<TRNTYPE>DEBIT
<DTPOSTED>20101108
<DTUSER>20101108
<TRNAMT>-3
<FITID>20101108PaymentFromPanelPayment-3.00
<NAME>Payment Panel Payment
</STMTTRN>
</BANKTRANLIST>

Note that there are 2 -$3 transactions listed, although the one for 11/08 is already in my register, and (properly), only the 11/10 transaction (also -$3) appears as a 'downloaded transaction'.

Notice that it seems to be marked as a "DEBIT" of -3 dollars.  What is the result of that supposed to be, a deposit of positive 3 dollars?  Is this then some kind of Quicken bug?  But other accounts work OK.  

My Quicken PayPal account is established as Account Type "Bank".

I'm only getting more and more confused.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.