sending and receiving money

stucamcentral
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I recently sold an item through ebay on 21st feb and the buyer paid by echeque. I understood that it would take approx 5 to 8 working days before it cleared and that I would be charged a fee....no problems there. However on 28 feb I dispatched the item in accordance with ebay and in the afternoon I went to my summary to add a tracking number. To my horror I noticed that the echeque has been cancelled and I had received no notification from paypal that this had happened, therefore I found myself without payment for the item and without the item itself. I proceeded to email the buyer and opened a first stage case (basically reminder/email to buyer) through ebay and sent a money request through paypal. I have still heard nothing from the buyer so I have now lodged an official complaint with paypal to hopefully either get my money or item from the seller. My question is has this happened to anyone else, should paypal notify me if an echeque has been cancelled and how quickly can this be resolved.

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated as I am a bit of a selling newbie.

many thanks

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

minty1
Advisor
Advisor

Hi stucamcentral

Are u able to open a payment not received case on ebay?

Login to Me Too

stucamcentral
Contributor
Contributor
Have opened a non payment case in ebay, but their guidelines seem a little unclear as they advise to close after four days and then an unpaid purchase will be placed against the non paying buyers account, does not clearly state if I will be reimbursed the purchase amount and the paid postage amount. Have not had this problem before hence asking community for advice/examples of corrective actions.
Login to Me Too

minty1
Advisor
Advisor

This is slightly different to the normal unpaid item case so report them to ebayand talk to ebay chat for more advice

Block them on your block bidders list

Login to Me Too

minty1
Advisor
Advisor

Is it still marked paid on your ebay sold page?

If it is mark as unpaid

Login to Me Too

stucamcentral
Contributor
Contributor
Have spent the last 2 hours on ebay chat just to be basically told that I should contact the police and provide them with details to be passed back to ebay as I stated that I had just read the buyers feedback comments. Although he has 100% positive feedback he has a history of non payment.....because a seller cannot leave neg feedback on a buyer...i found out today...next question is how come PayPal sent no notification that a payment had been cancelled...also why does it say "ok to send" on the detail part of my account summary just above the delivery address.. Sorry to all for sounding a bit thick in all of this
Login to Me Too

minty1
Advisor
Advisor

So what about sellers protection?

Like u said u were told it was ok to ship

U sent it to the address provided

Yes u could go the police will they be interested??

This really annoys me the buyer has received a free item and his feedback shows he doesnt pay and when he did scammed u and ebay wont reimburse u!!

Persevere if u can

Can I suggest u call ebay first and ppal(when u call ppal dont select any options hold on until u speak to someone)

As far as I know they dont provide notification in my personal experience it is a question u can ask them

Login to Me Too

minty1
Advisor
Advisor

Dont apologise either there is nothing thick  sounding about being scammed!!!

Login to Me Too

minty1
Advisor
Advisor

stucamcentral
Contributor
Contributor
Many thanks for your last 3 replies, I have reported the buyer to ebay, have read the detailed feedback comments for this buyer and there are over 25+ instances of him not paying. It amazes me that he is still allowed on the site. PayPal are looking into the situation and suggested that the cancellation notice email may have gone directly to my spam folder, will be checking on pc tonight as most of things I do are via mobile phone apps. Will be persevering as I am out of pocket by £50. Will post what happens. Many thanks for your advice and help
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.