Why can't I refund the buyer?

Bungle20120
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately I've had dealings with an incompetent buyer in Ebay and they want a refund. I've tried processing the refund from Paypal and I receive this message - 'The refund failed' and 'There was a problem sending your refund to the buyer'. What??? And why?? Any ideas anyone? Thanks in advance. Sarah

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

GBR-Trading
New Community Member

Same problem here.

Refunds have always gone through smoothly and automatically for me and this is the first time it has happened, but internet search reveals it is perhaps not a one-off. Plenty of people seem to be experiencing it.

Having wasted an hour on the phone to Paypal and livechat with ebay, here's what I know.

Ebay tell paypal to put the payment on hold when a case is opened. In this case, the refund buyer option on ebay failed, generating the message "There was a problem sending your refund to the buyer. Go to Paypal". This is because, rather brilliantly, putting the payment on hold has prevented me from refunding the buyer. Ebay's refund option doesn't work and paypal doesn't have have the refund option available, because under instruction from ebay, they've put it in payment hold limbo.

Instead, ebay advised to send the buyer the refund amount from other paypal funds. The case will then close on ebay and this will release the hold on the original paypal payment. But don't worry! (they said) It won't double refund or anything. Of course not.

Login to Me Too

MTSU_GUY
Contributor
Contributor
OMG I'm having this exact issue! Matter a fact I just got off the phone with ebay who said call paypal...they sent me back to ebay who AGAIN sent me back to paypal! The money is in limbo so why isn't it simply released to the buyer? Adding funds to issue the refund costs money so... Seems like a sceme to me by paypal and ebay and really upsets me as I've been a loyal seller on ebay for over a decade!!!😠
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.