Scammers on Depop

Amybradley
New Community Member
I have recently bought an iPhone 6 on depop for £230. The seller suggested I buy it through PayPal friends and family so she didn't lose any of that money through Depop, so I agreed. A few days passed so I asked her if she had sent the iphone and if I could have the tracking number. Shortly after sending this message it came to my attention that she had blocked me on depop and had not given me any information about the delivery. She is a scammer. I have proof of all messaging and transaction. Please help me get my £230 back off her and bring her down so no more people get scammed. I am a student and all I wanted was a more up to date phone. All help would be really appreciated.
Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Amybradley

“Gift” or “personal” payments are intended as transfer of funds from family or friends to one another. For this reason, there is no processing fee when payment is made with bank or PayPal balance.

On the other hand, as it is a “personal” payment, there is also no Buyer protection as no goods or services should have been exchanged.

If he was not a close mate or family member you should never use that option as it enables the seller to evade his paypal fees and negates your buyer protection at the same time.

Scam sellers often ask for payment that way as they know this.

Your only hope is if you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then contact your card issuer and see if they will help you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Emilycgore
Contributor
Contributor

heya, i also had this problem buying a iphone on depop for the same price (maybe the same person scammed us), i stupidly payed through bank transfer as she 'didnt have a paypal account'. long story short your best bet it to start a claim through action fraud. also paypal do have some regulations so give them a call and see what they can do. also if you have the bank account number you transfered it to they are able to freeze the account (which is what i did) but unfortunatley scammers are cleaver and will withdraw the funds immediatley and if there are no funds remaining in the account they wont be able to charge it back. then there is nothing you can do. you can also hit up the ombudsman who deal directly with banks and fraud. if all else fails call the citizens advice bureau. most of this needs to be done immediatley for any good outcome! good luck!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.