Reimbursed Money from buyer scam

cs2014
Contributor
Contributor
I listed my iPad 2 on Carousell and got a message from a woman saying she wanted to buy it through paypal. I agreed and thought I was doing the right thing by giving her my email and just waited for the transaction to go through. But instead I got emails saying that the transaction was held because I was a first time seller - ? So I should ship the iPad and reply with a scanned copy of the tracking # and I did and got emails again but this time the emails were horribly misspelled, and said Thanks for the Watch instead of the IPAD I shipped! So I reported the emails to spoof@paypal and they replied very quickly that they were in in fact fraudulent emails. Well great. The "buyer" was supposed to pay me $250 and instead I just mailed them an iPad - oh and I sent it USPS express international to NIGERIA. Trust me - I knew somethwas wrong but those emails looked very authentic until after I shipped it and got a joke email. How can I get my money for the expensive item I shipped?
Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@cs2014

THIS IS A TYPICAL PAYPAL SCAM.

They encourage you to use paypal and often ask you to send the item as a gift to a relative somewhere often Nigeria.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't.

It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

They also threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send trackable, they advise it for seller protection etc but it is not compulsory.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.

As no part of this transaction was done via paypals site there is nothing that you can do.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

cs2014
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you for replying
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.