PayPal protection not on eBay?

JasonDR
Contributor
Contributor
Hello - I bought a watch on eBay sont time ago but it was malfunctioning so I sent it back to the seller and got refunded. He fixed it in the meantime and I want to buy it again but asks me to pay via PayPal directly (to avoid eBay commission). My understanding is as we don’t process via eBay this time (even though with the same PayPal accounts), I am not protected anymore in case he doesn’t ship the watch. Am I correct? Thank you all!
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

snoozyblue
Contributor
Contributor

As long as you send the payment to the seller using the Goods and Services method (NOT a Personal payment!) you will be fully covered under PayPal's Buyer Protection. It's true that eBay wouldn't be involved at all, but PayPal still has their own protection and claims team.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4
Solved

snoozyblue
Contributor
Contributor

As long as you send the payment to the seller using the Goods and Services method (NOT a Personal payment!) you will be fully covered under PayPal's Buyer Protection. It's true that eBay wouldn't be involved at all, but PayPal still has their own protection and claims team.

Login to Me Too

JasonDR
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you very much for the quick answer snoozyblue!
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@JasonDR

You would be covered for non receipt of item BUT whether you would be covered for item received but not as described is dependent on what information about the item you are buying you put on that payment before you send it.

Its often best to get the seller to send an invoice with a FULL description of the item that you are to receive.

eg if you sent a goods / services payment for a ''watch'' and got a toy watch then odds are you may not be covered if you made a claim.

Buyer protection is never 100% so you need to cover your bases and risk assess your transactions.

Good luck.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

JasonDR
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you for this Kernowlass 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.