Pay After Delivery Option - returned item - paypal refund still pending??

MarcusPos

I opted for the Pay After Delivery option for an item from the Lyle & Scott website. I had to return this item and the payment was taken, as expected, on 1st April.

Lyle & Scott have refunded PayPal for the item but my PayPal refund to me is still pending??

Why & for how long does this usually happen?

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

This arises because your seller has refunded you before your initial payment to them ( pay after delivery) has cleared from your bank to PayPal.

When you sent your payment, the money is not instantly transferred from your bank account to the recipient’s PayPal account. Instead paypal instantly credit the recipient's PayPal account on your behalf and simultaneously request the same amount from your bank account to reimburse themselves.

It takes 5-7 business days for the money to arrive from your bank to PayPal (and that date has to be the pay after delivery date when it left your bank)  (same timeframe and method as an eCheque in fact). If your Instant Bank Transfer is refunded, this refund cannot be completed until paypal receive the money from your bank to cover the original payment paypal made.

A ‘Temporary Hold’ is ‘Placed’ on your refund while your bank processes your initial transfer request. When paypal receive the money from your bank, it will be credited to your PayPal balance.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

MarcusPos

5-7 days? In this day & age of high tech?

What a load of nonsense? I thought banks were bad enough with cheque clearance times but this is ridiculous!

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Your welcome.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

silverbrumby
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks! I was needed that answer. Clear and concise and makes sense. Although how annoying!!!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.