Negative balance, when i shouldnt have?

manager177
Contributor
Contributor

Hello!

Just recently ive lost a case.. sadly and money which were sent to me got reversed therfore i lost it.

But before all that happened i tried to whithdraw the money to my credit card, sadly the credit card was the wrong one... the one i tried to withdraw to was a cancelled one and it didn't existed. From the bank told me that the card was destroyed and the account itself on the card was cancelled as i did that mora than 5 months ago.

After the investigation finishing and the dispute ended, and the money were reversed instead of having 0 balance i ended up with negative balance.
In this case... if the money from the withdraw to the cancelled card should have return and paypal should have refunded the buyer with the money he sent me..

In this case it ends up that paypal gave them money which i was never given.
Shouldn't i have had the money returned to paypal because i tried to withdraw to a cancelled card and than paypal should have used that money to refund the other person?

I'm quite confused.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

As you are posting on the UK forum its always a good idea to actually say if you are not from the UK !!!

Paypal cannot take funds from your card or bank account without your authorisation, all  they can do is take funds that are already IN your paypal account balance. If you don't have any funds in there then all they can do is put your account into negative until you pay them back.

But they have already gone ahead and refunded your buyer under their buyer protection policy.

If your funds went to a non existant credit card then they should bounce back to your paypal account (and hopefully clear your negative balance) but may take up to 30 days to do so.

I give up my time to help you so a thank you or kudos would be cool.

Marking one of my replies as a solution would be appreciated if I sorted your problem.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

I'm confused as you can't withdraw funds to a card in the UK???

Marking one of my replies as a solution would be appreciated if I sorted your problem.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

manager177
Contributor
Contributor

No. Im aswell not from the UK ^^

Basickly i sold some virtual goods to a person. Then he put a dispute.. i lost of course.. due to the fact  i dont meet the requirments for seller protection.

When he first gave me the money for the virtual goods.. which he received ofc... I went to withdraw them to my card, but after that i saw i didn't remove the old card i had linked to my Paypal.. which i cancelled long time ago and doesn't exist anymore in reality. Therefore i mistakenly withdrew the money to that credit card.
I red about on the internet a little bit and in the end what i found is that.. the money should come back to my paypal account so i can withdraw them again to the correct one.

Meanwhile.. i got the dispute and ofc lost it as i stated.

The money which he should have gotten refunded was the money i tried to withdraw but mistakenly withdrew to the wrong card, ok.

So when the money was refunded to him instead of getting back those money i tried to withdrew to my card and them being used for return to the buyer, they never came back and i end up having my full negative balance of the amount i tried to withdraw.

In the end.. the money he gave me i tried to withdraw but sadly was to the wrong account, he wont a dispute therfore his money he sent me and i mistakenly withdrew should have been used to refund him, but instead they never even returned to my paypal or even been used for the refund.

I might have been mistaken something here.

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

As you are posting on the UK forum its always a good idea to actually say if you are not from the UK !!!

Paypal cannot take funds from your card or bank account without your authorisation, all  they can do is take funds that are already IN your paypal account balance. If you don't have any funds in there then all they can do is put your account into negative until you pay them back.

But they have already gone ahead and refunded your buyer under their buyer protection policy.

If your funds went to a non existant credit card then they should bounce back to your paypal account (and hopefully clear your negative balance) but may take up to 30 days to do so.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

manager177
Contributor
Contributor

Ahh i apologise, that im posting in the wrong community.

Aswell thanks for the clarification about the time that the money should return.

Finally got an answer, really appreciate it ! 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.