Getting my refund

CockneyLondoner
Contributor
Contributor

I received an incomplete order - one disc missing from DVD Boxset. The supplier wouldn't resolve the problem so I raised a dispute with PayPal. They (PayPal) have replied that I am entitled to a full refund but only once the supplier has had the order returned, AT MY COST.

As far as I'm aware this stipulation is against UK Consumer Law.

I have found that I cannot trust the supplier and have stated that I am prepared to return the goods once I have received the refund and the supplier has provided carriage paid addressed labels. I would, of course, provide proof of posting for them to follow up should the item not arrive back at their address.

I am appaled that PayPal is attempting to alter UK law. 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@CockneyLondoner

Please continue I am at work now and its giving all of us a really good laugh seeing your posts.

Consumer law and paypal rules are totally different but one does not exclude the other silly one.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@CockneyLondoner

Paypal disputes allow you to negotiate a part refund etc with the seller, if you can't sort things then you escalate to a claim.

Paypal don't deal in negotiations they ONLY offer you a full refund on return of the item to the seller TRACKABLE TO PROVE DELIVERY and state this under their buyer protection policy.

They also offer to pay your return shipping costs up to £15 per order as long as you activated the below link BEFORE you made the transaction.

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/refunded-returns

What protection paypal offer you and UK law are 2 separate things.

So if you have not activated it and returned the item at your own cost then you can use that UK law and take the seller to the small claims court to try and get your return shipping costs back.

And the FSA in the UK have approved paypals legal user agreement under UK law.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

CockneyLondoner
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply. I am, to say the least, surprised that the FSA have the authority to alter UK law as they think fit - since when has anybody/one been greater than the law, which is quite clear on this point?

That being said, I have given the supplier 7 days notice of impending court action in the small claims court, as you put it, and I'll see what they want to do next. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@CockneyLondoner

FSA has altered nothing, they just approved paypals user agreement.

You still have your rights under the law ie via the small claims court but that is for you to do and not paypal.

Paypal gives you some protection ie they get you a full refund on return of goods, they can't force the seller to re-pay your return costs but under UK law YOU can reclaim them yourself.

If your return postage is under £15 then why did you not activate the return shipping costs link, its been there on your paypal account for about 2 years now.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

CockneyLondoner
Contributor
Contributor

I think that perhaps we should work on the basis that you've got your opinion on what PayPal should be responsible for, and I've got mine and that we should close the matter now.

Thank you for all of your replies.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@CockneyLondoner

Nope, I am stating FACTS, you don't like those facts, you prefer to blame paypal for the fact you failed to activate the free postage return.

If you really think that paypal could evade UK paypal law then you are very naive.

They have not been challenged on it because they are behaving perfectly lawfully.

They don't negate any law, you still have that option but its YOU that has the option, they are not going to do it for you.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

CockneyLondoner
Contributor
Contributor

Once again, thank you for your reply. It is pointless in you getting agitated for your inability to put your case, if for no other reason than in a timely manner. PayPal took the payment for my order which makes them jointly responsible for the execution of my order. I raised a dispute where I was requesting a full refund, and as the option was given to me, to retain the goods. PayPal made a decision in my favour but stipulated that the goods had to be returned at my own expense before I could receive the refund- this is a conditional and illegal statement - you should have known that. I can find nowhere on the notification any reference to the PayPal free postage return, which by the way has conditions attached to it making it restrictive which, yet again, is illegal, and the fact that it has to be signed up for and not openly visible would, I feel, leave PayPal open to legal problem. The fact that they may not have been found guilty of any wrongdoing so far could just be fortunate for them. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@CockneyLondoner

Please stop this is getting funnier and funnier   Smiley Very Happy

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

CockneyLondoner
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, it always gets funny to people who are on the wrong end of facts. 

Try educating yourself by reading up on Consumer Law, and please stop wasting my time with rubbish

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@CockneyLondoner

Please continue I am at work now and its giving all of us a really good laugh seeing your posts.

Consumer law and paypal rules are totally different but one does not exclude the other silly one.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.