Direct debit returned from bank, nothing on paypal's end?

smoothrunes
Contributor
Contributor

So I recently had a DD payment returned from my bank, long story short I had the right amount of money but if you make a purchase in foreign cash like dollars the bank takes a few days to process the payment and as such, the wrong amount shows on the statement, so the £11 or so is what slipped me up and caused me not to put in enough money. I imagine the bank itself will take no action except maybe an overdraft fee, but what happens now? Paypal hasn't contacted me about anything or put out a problem to solve in the resolution centre.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@smoothrunes

Normally when you pay a seller it is never instant > paypal CREDITS the seller and then paypal take the wait for the funds to transfer from your bank account. So if its marked as completed the seller has been paid.

If that transfer fails then paypal may try again a few days later and then if that fails they may use your back up funding source eg card.

If all that fails then they put your paypal account into - (negative) until you pay them back again.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

smoothrunes
Contributor
Contributor

Hopefully I catch it in time then, cause they can't exactly use my back-up funding source card because 1) it's a debit card from the same bank account, so it would essentially be plucking from the same source and 2) the card is expired.

Login to Me Too

smoothrunes
Contributor
Contributor

Also, I'm pretty sure the payment went through to the person no problem. So now I'm left with a bunch of refunded money that I don't know what to do with because I'm not sure if/when the bank or paypal will try to take the payment again.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.