Cancelled Payment process?

Hi, I bought something through ebay and the sellers payment options somehow included PayPal...I made my payment through PayPal.

It turns out the seller doesn't have a PayPal account and actually needed paying by bank transfer, as they don't have a PayPal account the money was sat unclaimed so I cancelled the payment and assume it simply gets sent back to my bank account.

I have had to make the bank transfer in the meantime but I could really do with the money from PayPal being returned asap - currently two lots of the same amount are out of my account.

Does anyone know how long a cancelled payment will remain on temporary hold until it is returned? and is the payment returned to my bank or credit to my PayPal account balance - any ideas?

Cheers

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Firstly sellers on ebay are not allowed to sell unless they have a paypal account.

I would be reporting them to ebay/paypal and leaving appropriate feedback to warn other buyers.

I would NOT be paying via bank transfer because you if you do you will have no buyer protection and before paypal was made compulsory a lot of scammers used bank transfer.

Finally read below.

When you pay a seller it is never instant, paypal pays the seller for you and then starts the process of uploading your funds from your funding source. If the seller refunds or you have to cancel before that payment has completed or is unclaimed then you have to wait till it clears through to paypal then the refund is credited to you.

That can take a few days.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.