Can I and if so how do I refuse a payment that has been sent to me?

questcarol
Contributor
Contributor

how do I refuse a payment that has been sent to me?

(as I dont want to lose 20p to paypal as I have when I refunded in full recently) I have just had someone buy and pay for an item they now don't want they now want to cancel the item 

I would like to refuse thier payment if possible and not pay fees when I am not getting anything and the problem is with the buyer

Login to Me Too
18 REPLIES 18

I_know_nothing
Contributor
Contributor

Use the 'Issue Refund' option in the transaction details to refund the payment. PayPal will return their fees as part of the refund.

If your PayPal fees were not returned previously, you must have used 'Send Money' instead of 'Issue Refund'.

NB The 'Issue Refund' option is only available for 60-days from the transaction date, and you must have sufficient funds in your PayPal balance for the refund (or transfer the necessary amount from you bank account first).

Be aware, though, that if you refund a payment for an eBay item, without the buyer agreeing to a cancellation, the buyer will be able to file a Non-Performing Seller complaint against you. If upheld, you will receive a strike against your seller performance rating.

Login to Me Too

questcarol
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks but I did do it through the issue refund button  and was still charged me the 20p

this has now happened 3 times to me twice on lost in the post and once on a refund this did not happen to me in the past when I refunded one that was lost in the post

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Maria
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi questcarol,

In October 2011 there was a change to our fee structure for refunds. When you refund a payment, we now retain the fixed portion of the fee you were charged when you received the payment. We’re not charging a fee for the refund, but simply retaining the fee, which has already been collected from your PayPal account.

For example:

• A buyer sends £100 to a seller
  • Assuming the seller is on the standard fee rate (3.4% plus 20p), the seller has receives £96.40 into their PayPal account
  • The seller later decides to issue a full refund to the buyer
  • During the refund, PayPal credits the merchant £3.40
  • The buyer receives a full refund of £100

Unfortunately, it’s not possible to refuse a payment once it has already cleared into your PayPal account.

Hope this helps,
Maria

Login to Me Too

Cornwell

Maria,

There's another aspect to this, and that's test transactions.

In the course of developing a web page, I will want, in the final stages of testing, to put a number of test transactions through. In the past this has been at no cost but now each transaction costs 20p, a small cost maybe but it all adds up.

Login to Me Too

rockman47
New Community Member

There are a number of occasions where I also do not wish to accept a paypal payment.

What mechanism is in place to do this so as not to keep incurring 20p paypal fees.

Surely it must be possible to flag accounts from which payments are not accepted?

Login to Me Too

Khud1111
Contributor
Contributor
If you send a payment to a buyer that doesn't officially agree to a cancellation and they open a claim, then you can contact ebay as a rebuttal with the transaction ID from paypal explaining your intent to refund, and subsequently the buyer will only have the choice to accept the payment or reissue the payment and proceed with the order. This is what I would infer based on my experience with paypal and ebay only.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Khud1111

Why are you answering a question that was asked 3 years ago?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Khud1111
Contributor
Contributor
Is that not allowed?? I didn't realize the date to be honest but maybe I should have thought twice before doing so.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Khud1111

Yes of course its allowed, it just seems a bit pointless   Smiley Wink

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.