Why have I not received my refund??

twilightbaby1o
Contributor
Contributor

I bought something from ebay that I never received so they issued a refund to me. It says that the money was refunded but it's been a good 2 weeks and I still have not received in my paypal account or my bank account. I have no clue what is going on. 

Login to Me Too
77 REPLIES 77

mm2raleigh
Contributor
Contributor

The same thing is happening to me. If I click on "details" about the completed refund - it shows that they put a temp hold on the refund. Can't get answers as to why, or for how long. Nothing unusual about the exchange. Ebay seller sold a buy it now item to two sellers and refunded me.

Login to Me Too

belley155
Contributor
Contributor

yeah me to it said mine was refunded on the 4th ... and its the 15th now!  =/

Login to Me Too

ncctrekker
Contributor
Contributor

I see a lot of postings about erroneously hitting the "refund" button instead of the "withdraw" button causing most of the problems with receiving refunds.

Just remember, some of us have never even received the actual money in our Paypal accounts.  Maybe I'm the idiot, but I was under the impression it shows up as a credit to my account and I also receive an email notifying me of the same.

Still waiting for my money ($109.95), since July 28th.

Login to Me Too

jjoyous1
Contributor
Contributor

Just remember, some of us have never even received the actual money in our Paypal accounts.  Maybe I'm the idiot, but I was under the impression it shows up as a credit to my account and I also receive an email notifying me of the same.

Still waiting for my money ($109.95), since July 28th.

I was wondering if there were multiple situations being discussed here. Was the $109.95 refunded from eBay? or some other vendor?

What happened to me is that my son purchased a game that was fraudulent. eBay notified me before I even received anything that it was fraudulent. According to PayPal, I had to return the game and they would refund it, but eBay said THEY would refund it, and i didn't even have to return the game. We did buy a different one and that one didn't work, I returned that one, and Paypal awarded me the refund. but silly me, when I saw that money in my account, I (apparently) clicked "refund." I think I realized what happened instantly, since it said "refund to eBay" and it was too late. eBay verified that's what happened and assured me the money would be returned to me Monday. He sounded very sincere.

Login to Me Too

ncctrekker
Contributor
Contributor

The $109.95 was for an item I won on Ebay but the seller never sent.  Ebay verified that it was not sent and stated they (Ebay) would make the refund to my Paypal account.  BTW:  The deadbeat seller is no longer registered on Ebay which may or may not have anything to do with the slowness of Ebay refunding the money.

Other than the refund the other kicker is you would think Paypal would monitor their own community forum boards and voluntarily offer assistance to those in this situation.  Wait a minute, that would require positive customer service.  What was I thinking???

But I digress, I'm not bitter.

Login to Me Too

piazink
Contributor
Contributor

Just some things to keep in mind.  

eBay owns PayPal.  Even though they probably use different customer service offices, they are essentially the same entity.

PayPal is not a Federally-regulated bank.  They are considered "third party" and, as such, are not bound by the same rules as other banks. They have far more control over your money...some of which has been challenged as illegal.  (See Richard Builderberg's "The Rise and Fall of eBay: The Third Reich.")

Finally, there are time limits for filing a dispute.  I learned this the hard way when eBay intercepted my attempt to contact my seller to ask about my undelivered item and announced to me that the time limit to file a dispute had passed. (Hey, eBay, who said anything about a  "dispute"?  and what were you doing reading my email in the first place? and why didn't you tell me that my seller was no longer a member of eBay, that his account had been frozen and that I would never see my merchandise...when I still had time to file a dispute?  What a novel idea!)

At this point my only hard and fast gripe about eBay is that they knew all this...and never informed the seller's customers.  Based on that little misdeed my credit card company has agreed to waive their own time limit for filing a dispute and refund the money to my account.  Unfortunately they wouldn't give me any added time to try to settle the dispute on my own...which certainly must always be your first action.

Bottom line: two weeks may be a little early to start worrying about a refund, but don't let it go past a month.  The limit for filing a dispute is 45 days...for both PayPal and eBay.  Also keep an eye on your bank's or credit company's time limit.  I really lucked out when my CCC agreed to extend my limit my by a few days.

Good luck on all your problems...and be sure and post final results...unfavorable and favorable.

Login to Me Too

jjoyous1
Contributor
Contributor

My refund was  credited back to me today. I apparently caused my own problem by not understanding the Paypal interface. I am so surprised to hear how many people are having trouble with ebay purchases. ebay notified me that something I purchased was fraudulent, and they did everything right - so I don't think the seller dropping out would be a reason for ebay's slowness. Not that I have to defend ebay, but people should not give up and assume ebay is a big bad organization trying to take their money. I got that impression from this board, and was very worried I would never see my refund - and not sure i should use ebay OR paypal any more!

For the future, I will be extremely careful about  vendors I buy from - my son bought the fraudulent purchase and he was aware the vendor only had one feedback. He didn't even notice the vendor was in China. I once purchased a phone from someone in China - the transaction was GREAT but I don't think the phone was worth what I paid for it....so who knows. Thanks for listening everybody - I agree with the person who wondered why Paypal doesn't monitor it's own board. Go figure...

Login to Me Too

twilightbaby1o
Contributor
Contributor

how long did it take for you to receive that refund? it's been a week and I have not received the second refund that was promised to me.

Login to Me Too

tori9603
New Community Member

Transaction that i recieved from the seller is 8A022595003  for 159.00

Login to Me Too

twilightbaby1o
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah mine says it was refunded but i cant find the money anywhere. It's not in my paypal account or my bank account. I'm not sure how long it takes. It should have only taken up to 5 days but it's been almost 3 weeks

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.