can i find out if a user is verifiedr? scam?

rjuarez007
Contributor
Contributor

Have a guy that wants to buy a motorcycle trailer from me off craigslist, he is in NY I am in WY.  Wants to pay via paypal which I like, but can't seem to find out if he is verified. I know there are lots of scammers on craigslist but never heard of them paying with paypal. Suggestions?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

ChambersPC
Contributor
Contributor

Typically, if the buyer is serious and not trying to scam you, they will call you on the phone.

With CraigsList, be sure to remove the email link from the ad, include only your phone number, and state in the ad that it is a CASH ONLY sale.

If you suspect a buyer may be trying to scam you, offer the buyer your phone number and tell them they need to telephone you to discuss the details.  After that, cease all communication with that buyer through emails.   It is important to talk to the buyer on the phone.  If you do talk to the buyer on the phone, exchange contact information and call him/her back with their supplied contact info.

Good luck.

Login to Me Too

rjuarez007
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the post, I got a phone call from buyer today, unlike most scams has negoiated on the price, offered to pay for shipping and does not want the carrier on the motorcycle trialer I am selling, as I will hinder shipping. He is also willing to pay via Paypal, sign for item when recieved. As long as I follow Paypal guidelines buyer protection will cover me. Can't see any loopholes in this deal yet

RJ

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.