Using donate button for non charity payments

ACBTOG
New Community Member

I have a Paypal Website Payments Standard account.  Most of my payments from clients who wish to pay by card are done through emailing invoices directly to them.  I have recently had clients that would prefer to just give card details over the phone but I don't want to pay the extra to have a virtual terminal just for the rare times when clients wish to pay this way.  Also, the amount clients pay varies hugely form just a few pounds to several hundred pounds.

I noticed that I can put a donate button on my website.  I wondered about using this to receive payments over the phone as I can click on the donate button myself and then take all the details from the client in a similar way to using a virtual terminal account.  As I don't want anyone to get confused by finding the page by mistake and "donating" money , I tested it on a web page that is on my PC and not live on my website and it works fine.

My concern is that there is some legal reason why I can not do this or that it bypasses fees in some way because the system presumes that it is a charitable donation.

Any suggestions as to whether this is OK to do or a better way of doing it would be very much apreciated.

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.