Purchasing Gas with Paypal

Debboy
Contributor
Contributor

Can I purchase gas for my vehicle with my PayPal balance?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

Oregon11
Advisor
Advisor

@Debboy

Yes, you can buy gas with your Business debit card. 

There will be a preauthorization hold. PayPal says this hold can be up to a $100.00 depending on the

station. I've never seen a fuel charge hold at $100.00, typically they are $1.00 but I have seen a $50.00 and $75.00 hold at some stations. If your card gets declined at the pump, go inside and pay at the counter. 

Also, to receive your monthly cash back bonus you will need to activate the feature in your card settings if you haven't already.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

Oregon11
Advisor
Advisor

@Debboy

Do you have the Business debit card?

Login to Me Too

Debboy
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I do, sorry it took so long to get back with you, I haven't used the community much and couldn't find where to go and reply. Guess I need to visit more often. LOL

Login to Me Too
Solved

Oregon11
Advisor
Advisor

@Debboy

Yes, you can buy gas with your Business debit card. 

There will be a preauthorization hold. PayPal says this hold can be up to a $100.00 depending on the

station. I've never seen a fuel charge hold at $100.00, typically they are $1.00 but I have seen a $50.00 and $75.00 hold at some stations. If your card gets declined at the pump, go inside and pay at the counter. 

Also, to receive your monthly cash back bonus you will need to activate the feature in your card settings if you haven't already.

Login to Me Too

Debboy
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you, that was what I was wanting to know, but I'm not clear on the hold situation, I don't have $100 in my PayPal account at the time.  Is that what I have to have in order for them do to this? I'm still kind of new at PayPal and learning how things work.

Login to Me Too

Debboy
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the cash back tip, I didn't know that.

Login to Me Too

Oregon11
Advisor
Advisor

@Debboy

If you're concerned about a hold then prepay with your card inside the gas station and run the card as a credit transaction. You can use your bank account as a backup funding option for the card but you will need a zero PayPal balance for purchases to be taken from your checking account.

When you use your debit card at stores, select credit. Only credit transactions will receive cash back. There is no cash back for debit/pin transactions. There will be times when stores will run the card as a pinless debit transaction and you wont receive cash back.

In your PayPal account activity in the Business card tab you'll see each debit card purchase as either a Debit card signature purchase (these will be cash back transactions) or Debit card PIN purchase.

Login to Me Too

Debboy
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you so much, you've been so helpful. I really appreciate all the information. I hope you have a great day!

Login to Me Too

Oregon11
Advisor
Advisor

@Debboy

You're very welcome.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.