Using Google Pay to get the 3% cashback option with the paypal cashback card

McFlies
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there, I've been trying to use Google Pay with the Paypal (not the cashback card option) to try to get the new 3% cashback option with the Paypal cashback card. 

From what I understand the cashback card needs to have the transaction done via Paypal as well as the cashback card to get the 3% cashback option. So I set up Google Pay with Paypal and made the default in-store and online transaction preferences go to the Paypal cashback card. Mind you, the options that I was changing for that to happen was on the Paypal app itself, not the Google Pay app options. I don't think I've seen an option related to that.

So, I went to the Grocery, picked out some items, used the Google Pay app/paypal option. It went through and most of it was fine. However, the money was taken from my bank account, not the cashback card and didn't appear as a transaction on my credit card statement with the Paypal cashback card. So I'm wondering if there's an option I'm missing to force it to use the cashback card instead of the bank account...or if there's just no way to make this happen how I want it to. Thanks!

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

McFlies
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone try it out? I know it's a pretty new option

Login to Me Too

PayPal_JonK

Hello @McFlies

Welcome back! Thanks for visiting the PayPal Community again. I believe Google Pay is set up as a Billing Agreement with PayPal. With that in mind, you'll want to see if you can set the Cashback Mastercard as that Billing Agreement's Preferred Funding Source. Also, here are the Cashback Reward FAQ's, just in case you need them for the future. 

I hope that helps!

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

McFlies
Contributor
Contributor

That doesn't appear to be the case currently. I guess since I made a payment using that method, it might appear there in the future. Thanks for the advice! I'll have to see if it's available later.

Login to Me Too

ckotil
Contributor
Contributor
I don't think it is possible. Google pay uses the PayPal balance and doesn't let you choose to source from the MasterCard earning 3%. I think the best we can do is to link gpay to the MasterCard and earn 2%. Only achieving 3% when paying natively through PayPal.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.