Discontinuation of Paypal Key; Paypal Cash Debit Card

kjones7104
Contributor
Contributor

Hello!  I just received the Paypal email saying the Paypal virtual key is being discontinued.  I have Paypal Credit and Paypal Cash Card and Paypal MC (I realize this a separate credit account).  Do I still need to get an actual Paypal debit card?  I didn't really understand the email.  Thanks in advance!  Below is a copy/paste of the email. When I try to "get the card" with the link at the bottom of the email, it just takes me back to my dashboard? I do not carry a Paypal balance.  I just have my own debit card linked to it. 

"PayPal is discontinuing the PayPal Key virtual card feature. Starting April 20, 2022, you will no longer be able to use your PayPal Key Virtual Cards. This includes the ability to see the virtual card number, and any attempted online purchases will be declined. Please be sure to update any saved payments before then.

To continue to use your PayPal balance anywhere, including at businesses that don't accept PayPal, simply request a PayPal debit card.1 The debit card lets you use your PayPal balance anywhere Mastercard® is accepted - in-store, online, or in your favorite apps."

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

rog800
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same question.  I received an identical email, but there is no mention of any sort of discontinuation on my dashboard, or anywhere in my account.  No notification or mention that I can find anywhere within paypal.

Is this email a scam?

(I did not click on the email link, BTW.)

Thanks in advance.

.rog.

Login to Me Too

kjones7104
Contributor
Contributor

NO answers at all other than another Paypal customer who has the same question?  Come on PAYPAL!  Get with it.

Login to Me Too

rog800
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal does NOT make it easy to find this.  After much digging, I found a mention of it here, appended to the top of the info page for the 'paypal key', located under the Wallet FAQs.

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/what-is-paypal-key-and-where-can-i-use-it-faq4240

"Note: As of March 1, 2022, PayPal discontinued offering the PayPal Key feature for new customers in the U.S. On April 20, 2022, PayPal will remove the PayPal Key feature for all existing customers and any new transactions using their virtual card number will be declined."

Then it goes on to explain how the key works, including, "PayPal Key is a new product and will be available to more customers in the near future. If you don’t see the PayPal Key option in your account or in the app, please know we’re working hard to bring the product to customers like you."

Brilliant.

Anyhow, it looks like it's going away, and that is a drag.  It was so convenient to use for online purchases that didn't accept paypal.  But I guess people were figuring out ways to abuse it (of course).

.rog.

Login to Me Too

lukevh
New Community Member

I wanted to say how disappointed I am that this has been discontinued. I thought it was fantastic and it actually got me out of a difficult situation when I was traveling abroad--my bank card was stolen and shut off by my bank and getting a new one mailed out of the country was proving extremely unlikely. I signed up for the virtual card key and was able to change all my autopay services over to it, preventing many from getting shut off. I've been using it for everything since then. The ability to quickly replace a virtual card number if I suspected fraud was very reassuring.

I ordered one of the debit cards, but I think it's very unlikely I will use it. I don't want to have to transfer funds into another bank account--I'll just use my normal bank debit card or look into 3rd party virtual card services. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.