Refunds

billd1140

Purchased 4 tickets for a charity event at $40.00 each.  The organizers website was set up for payment.  Their website had separate boxes for dollars and cents, which I failed to see. In the dollar box, I typed in 16000.00 and hit enter which automatically defaulted two more zeros into the cents box for a grand total purchase of $16,000.00!!  I caught the error immediately and contacted the organizers who canceled the transaction.  I then re ordered the tickets at the correct value.

The transaction obviously was process via Paypal before it could be canceled and the credit is still pending but Paypal wants to charge me a fee reversal of  $352.00!  That is outrageous for a two keystroke error and I have asked for that amount to be reimbursed to me as well. 

Am I out of line asking for reconsideration of this $352 fee reversal charge? 

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor

This is very odd.  So you made the purchase on somebody else's website, and they simply refunded that purchase?  There would be no fee charged to the buyer in that case.  I think you may be reading the details of the transaction incorrectly.

When you first made that payment, PayPal charged the receiver of the money a fee of 2.2%.  16000 * .022 = 352, which is where that fee amount comes from.

When they refund that payment back to you, they get refunded back that original $352 that PayPal charged them.  This gets broken down on the refund transaction details, and you may be thinking that's charging you..??  It's not charging you.  PayPal puts that portion back towards the refund that comes back to you, so you will see the entire amount you paid refunded back to your account.

I think that's all that happened here, but if you think otherwise please provide a copy of the notices you got that are saying you actually have to pay this fee.

Angell EYE - www.angelleye.com
PayPal Partner and Certified Developer - Kudos are Greatly Appreciated!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.