Purchasing an e gift card using paypal balance- Can't make purchase at this time error

Allisonshu60
New Community Member
I am trying to purchase a chipotle e gift card using some of my paypal balance but each time I attempt this it says "Sorry, we can’t complete your purchase at this time. Please return to the merchant and choose another way to pay." on the screen. I do have enough paypal balance and I even reset my preferred payment method to my paypal balance instead of my visa card. Really not sure why this doesn't work at all. 
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Rachael
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @Allisonshu60,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

From your description it sounds like our security system was stopping your payment. To provide one of the safest online payment methods, our security program considers a variety of factors at each transaction to keep you safe.

There are a couple of things you can try to complete this payment.

Try changing your payment method during checkout.
For example, if your preferred payment method is your bank account, we will always try to use your bank account first for payments. If there is an issue with your bank account, we may block payments using that account as a funding source. You can change your payment method to a different one, such as a debit or credit card.

Here's what to do:

1. During checkout, click on a different funding option or on See more payment options.
  2. On the next page, select the payment method you want and click Confirm and pay.
  3. The payment method you selected will be used after your PayPal balance.

Try adding another payment method.
If you only have a credit or debit card registered on your account, try adding and confirming a bank account.

Here's how to add a bank account to your PayPal account:

1. Log in to your PayPal account.
  2. Click Wallet near the top of the page.
  3. Click Link a bank account.
  4. Enter the requested information in English.
  5. Click Continue.
  6. Review your information and click Link Your Bank.

If you only have a bank account registered to your account, try adding a credit or debit card.

Here’s how to add a card to your PayPal account:

1. Log in to your PayPal account.
  2. Click Wallet near the top of the page.
  3. Click Link a credit card.
  4. Select the Card type and enter the card number, expiration date, and 3 digit code.
  5. Click Link Card.

If adding a new payment method or trying a different payment didn't help, please reach out to the seller to find another way to complete your payment.

I hope this helps. 

Rachael 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.