Unclaimed vs. unaccepted payments

EEB1
New Community Member

I accidentally sent a payment to a relative using my credit card (incurring a fee) vs. via bank account transfer, which is what I had intended to do. We both immediately tried to find an way to reverse the transaction but couldn't. However, my brother found Paypal's "unclaimed payment" policy, which would return the payment (and fee) to me within 30 days if it remained unclaimed, at which point I could issue the payment as a fee-free bank transfer. So we figured that would work. We are now passed the 30 day point, and it turns out that, because he is a "verified user" (that is, someone with a bank account linked to his Paypal account), payments sent to him via Paypal are automatically "claimed" (added to his balance)--even though he is still given an option to "accept" them and has not yet "accepted" my payment to him. This seems extremely misleading, verging on fraudulent misrepresentation of how Paypal's unclaimed payment policy works. I have tried working with customer service, via the message center, but they are unwilling to refund the fee and have no other advice for how to resolve this issue. Have other people encountered this problem? To whom would one direct legal concerns about Paypal's policies and transparency? 

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.