Refunds & e-cheques??

Bestisblue
Contributor
Contributor
First post so not sure how this works I’m becoming increasingly cynical of PayPal ethics. Returned two items purchased off eBay Both were refunded via e-cheques. Neither has ever showed up in my PayPal balance despite the refund being confirmed on PayPal ? Not had the money been refunded to my bank account ?? I don’t trust paypalat all these days, like eBay - they have made it so hard to find answers to simple queries. Why are refunds now issued as e-cheques?? Why do I no longer have a simple balance sheet to view what has been paid in/ out and refunded. The money is a couple of hundred pounds - but I’ll be avoiding both eBay and PayPal on the future. I think they are a blameless and faceless company **bleep** customers Dreadful and deceitful work ethics
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Bestisblue 

Sellers can only refund via funds in their paypal balance OR bank account via echeque.

Transfers from bank accounts are never instant, that is why when you buy something paypal credit the seller upfront for you and paypal take the wait for the funds to transfer to pay them back again, this is so you get your item without delay and why paypal call it instant transfer.
Takes 5-7 working days to transfer as Paypal use the slowest (cheapest) transfer option BUT funds normally leave your bank account from a few hours up to a few days later.

However if a seller is refunding then paypal do not refund in advance, its you that takes the wait this time and so it goes through as an echeque.

If you funded the original payment to the seller from your bank account or a card then it won't show in your paypal balance once marked refunded it will automatically go back to that bank account or card. Paypal say allow 30 days although its normally much quicker than that, country dependent.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.