How long does a refund from bank account take?

trans1000
Contributor
Contributor

I sent my friend $400 in order for them to buy something from me. For some reason it charged me twice, sending them $800 USD in 2 separate transactions. Their account then got locked due to not being verified so they couldn't send the money back. Basically, $800 is stuck in their account. 

I filed a dispute for both transactions, one on November 8th & one on November 11th. Both of them were quickly closed saying "Thank you for reporting this case.  After reviewing your case, we found that this transaction was not unauthorized and hence couldn't be covered under PayPal Purchase Protection." and "The money will be refunded to the original payment method."

Its been over a week now, I don't know how long its supposed to be since the original payment method was a bank account. 

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@trans1000

When you file unauthorised paypal put those funds on 'hold' then they check your IP address and devices to see if your account had been hijacked and used without your consent to make the transaction. As your account wasn't hacked and you did use that account to send the money then the dispute would be closed and the funds on hold released back to the person you sent them to.

If you had sent them using the friends / family option then the 'only' dispute you would have been able to file was unauthorised as you would have no buyer protection for sending a 'gift' but as it wasn't an unauthorised transaction as you authorised it then you would have lost that dispute.

Also I am very surprised that your friends account was locked due to them being unverified, that wouldn't happen, they would just have to verify their email address to be able to receive the funds, are you sure it was a real friend and not a seller?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.