Have I been refunded?

Xpurge
Contributor
Contributor

I tried to buy an item costing £21.40 on 21st April which didn't go through due Covid 19 (business temporarily closed). My Paypal statement shows (on 21 April) "+£21.40" (note the strikethrough) and a note under the sellers name "cancelled - refund", I can't seem to post a screenshot here.  On the 28 April I received an automated email from Paypal informing me that the refund hadn't "been completed". I've contacted the seller (a business) who informs me that they'd refunded the money. How do I determine if the money has been refunded or not? Paypals rolling statement doesn't seem to allow me to see if its been added to my Paypal balance or not, I've chacked and it hasn't been added to my actual credit card balance (I only have a single card linked to Paypal). What does the +£21.40 mean (I've received other refunds and they've just been noted as "+£xx.xx" with no strikethrough).

Phil

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Xpurge 

If you funded the original payment to the seller from your bank account or a card then once marked refunded/completed it will automatically go back to that bank account or card.
Normally it can take a few days up to a week to go back to a bank account and a bit longer for a card, Paypal say allow 30 days for a card (1 billing cycle) but its rarely that long.
(Can vary according to country though).
https://www.paypal.com/uk/smarthelp/article/FAQ1212

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Xpurge
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Kernowlass, my understanding of your reply is that, since my Paypal account has a single Credit Card associated with it then the refund should appear within my Credit Card account within 30 days. The notifcation from Paypal was on the 28th April and so I would expect the money to be returned to my Credit Card account by 28th May latest. The strikethrough means the refund has not been made?

I'll await until the 28th and then recontact the seller.

Many thanks.

Phil

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.