Can’t issue refund

Lekan1
Contributor
Contributor
I want to issue a refund as I am not in a position to fulfil the order during this Covid crisis. However it seems as though PayPal will not let me do this. I am assuming this is because the PayPal and depop fees that have been subtracted from the original payment have left my account not having enough money for the refund. I believed that issuing the refund would null the fee’s and return the customer his money back. Is this not correct? And what are my options?
Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Lekan1 

Paypal no longer return the fees (that were deducted when your buyer paid) when you issue a refund. So you need to have the full amount either in your paypal balance OR fund it from your bank account.

https://www.paypal.com/uk/smarthelp/article/FAQ1672

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Lekan1
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks for replying, I really appreciate that. Just to clarify, does this mean I would be paying out of my own pocket to issue a refund? Seems kind of backwards
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Lekan1 

Yep did you read the link?

Paypal charge you for the service of processing your buyers payment for you and then issueng the refund so yes you would not get that fee back unfortunately.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.