Temporary Limited

rodnicol
Contributor
Contributor

My account has been limited for the 3rd time by PayPal because I work in China. It has been about 3 months since I was last able to use it.  Obviously they check my IP address and then say it's suspicious and then my account (meaning they stop me from buying anything).

I have been trying to stop them from doing this for a long time now but they don't listen. I try to tell them that I am using PayPal from another country and China being China, I often have to use a VPN to be able to use PayPal.  But any reply I've received has been robotic making it impossible to solve this problem. 

Worse, this time the way they have of solving the issue has changed so I am now unable to fulfill all the criteria, as they now ask for at least 3 different things to be done. I have been able to complete 2 but the last one is a utility bill.  I can download and send a bank account letter with my address on it but  I cannot send a utility bill with my address as I am in China and my bank account and my PayPal account are British. It disturbs me that a company like this can be so inflexible and fail to offer any real communication methods to deal properly with these types of problems.

My bank knows I work in China and has no problem with this.  Also, PayPal, in their first email to me about this said my account was a new one.  I have been using PayPal for some 8 to 10 years, so I don't know what they're talking about.  However, once again, my attempts to communicate with them about it never reached anyone so cannot be sorted.

Has anyone been able to solve this kind of issue or can anyone advice me how I might be able to properly solve this problem.  Thank you.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@rodnicol

Paypal is not a bank and so it has to be 'country specific'.

If you move countries you have to open another paypal account in the country you reside in and add an address / phone number / and bank accounts from within that country.

You can have 2 Paypal accounts in 2 countries as long as x1 is personal and the other x1 is business.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

rodnicol
Contributor
Contributor

That's where you have me wrong. I haven't moved country. I work in another country but my life is still in the the UK. My bank is there. My home is there. I have to work abroad as there is not so much work available in the UK these days, as many others have also had to do as well. I think it's easy for you to say open up another PayPal account in China but have you tried it? Do you know anything about China and how it works with outsiders? From what you say I don't think you do. There is little done in China to help Westerners adapt. No systematization's of banks and other organizations to help them. No ID cards for Westerners in China. If I read Chinese, which I don't, I might have a chance but, as I said, I don't and China doesn't like Westerners in China sending money out or buying outside of China. They have a firewall which is specifically targeted at keeping out Western influence. I don't think you have really thought through what you have so confidently proposed to me. Hundreds of thousands or workers are now having to work abroad. for instance, in the UK many jobs are actually advertised outside of the UK, not in it. I would suggest that PayPal had a closer look at this and helped by being a bit more flexible internationally with it's customers. The world is moving on but, I have noticed, many businesses are not. That, I suggest is where the problem really lies. By the way. I tried what you suggested once while working in South Korea. It was a complete waste of time for a variety of reasons. One being that PayPal communicated with me, and still does, in Korean. I tried many times to get you to stop it and communicate in English but I couldn't. The account is still open but is unusable. Hope you see what I'm getting at here.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@rodnicol

Well I am not wrong as in Paypals eyes you have moved country albeit temporarily if you are using Paypal in another country.

Whether you can open another paypal account in China is neither here nor there, all I can do is tell you that the option is available to have 2 paypal accounts in 2 countries if you wish to do so.

Unfortunately I am unaware of how easy or hard it is to do so in every country in the world !!

But your welcome, glad you appreciated my attempt to try and help you.  Smiley Frustrated

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.