Could we have ipn activated only for some buttons?

pvanthony
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Currently in the paypal website, I have activated IPN. On the shopping cart all is working great.

There are cases where I send customers a button. The customers make the payment.

Then IPN tries to send messages for the transaction done by the button. It keeps trying for a few days. And I get warning emails that the IPN messages are not getting through.

Is this behaviour because IPN is activated globally? Is it possible to deactivate IPN in the paypal website. Then the shopping cart will activate IPN per transaction.

And button code will not activate the IPN.

Need advise. Please assist.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

MTS_Andre

Hi pvanthony, the warning emails about IPN are always related to some error in the delivery of the IPN notification to your server. For some reason your server can't receive the PayPal IPN notification. You should analyze your server error_log in order to find the reason of this error. Usually are HTTP errors like 500, 404, 503. Also check in your IPN history the error receive, please folow this guide: https://developer.paypal.com/docs/classic/ipn/integration-guide/IPNOperations/

About the activation of IPN per transaction you could disable the notify URL in your profile and set a different value in the notify_url variable in each of your buttons. When a buyer will click on that button then the system will consider the notify_url specified in that button only. If you don't pass any notify_url variable in the button code and IPN is disabled from your profile then no IPN will be triggered.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

MTS_Andre

Hi pvanthony, the warning emails about IPN are always related to some error in the delivery of the IPN notification to your server. For some reason your server can't receive the PayPal IPN notification. You should analyze your server error_log in order to find the reason of this error. Usually are HTTP errors like 500, 404, 503. Also check in your IPN history the error receive, please folow this guide: https://developer.paypal.com/docs/classic/ipn/integration-guide/IPNOperations/

About the activation of IPN per transaction you could disable the notify URL in your profile and set a different value in the notify_url variable in each of your buttons. When a buyer will click on that button then the system will consider the notify_url specified in that button only. If you don't pass any notify_url variable in the button code and IPN is disabled from your profile then no IPN will be triggered.

Login to Me Too

pvanthony
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much for the reply.

It was exactly what I was looking for.

Thank you again.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.